Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Scott Sauyet <li...@sauyet.com> on 2007/11/26 16:36:32 UTC

Axis2 Retrying request

I'm having a problem using an Axis2 client to connect to a service that
seems to have a real hiccup.  I'm trying to get the group that runs the
service to fix the hiccup, but I would like to continue on while that
happens, and I was wondering if anyone can suggest a way.

The problem is that the service fails to respond to the initial request,
but will respond to a retry.  I noticed this when checking the WSDL in
Firefox.  It won't load at first, but does load after a refresh.  I
found that Opera loaded right away and IE and Safari wouldn't load at
all.  (Safari had the most helpful response, saying that the server had
dropped the connection.)  I used commons.httpclient to test and it posts
an IO exception because the server failed to respond, then does a retry,
which works fine.

I'm wondering if I can do some sort of automatic retry for such an
exception in Axis2.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but the service is running in
SSL (over HTTPS.)

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer,

   -- Scott

Re: Axis2 Retrying request

Posted by Scott Sauyet <li...@sauyet.com>.
Scott Sauyet wrote:
> I'm wondering if I can do some sort of automatic retry for such an
> exception in Axis2.

It didn't actually solve my underlying problem, but I think I've found
an answer to this question, although it involved more guess work than
actual understanding.  I knew how to write a retry handler in
HttpClient.  (http://tinyurl.com/2b3jek#Custom_exception_handler)  To
connect it to Axis2, I tried this, and it seemed to work:

     stub._getServiceClient().getOptions().setProperty(
             HttpMethodParams.RETRY_HANDLER, MyHttpMethodRetryHandler);

where stub extends org.apache.axis2.client.Stub.  This was just
guesswork.  But setting the log level to DEBUG, I could see a difference
depending upon my retry handler.

Now back to the underlying issue.

Cheers,

   -- Scott