Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/05 14:06:07 UTC

Re: Ofbiz and AAL was OfBiz e-commerce customization

Yes, Vadim, consider also that there is an in-progress work aimed to better
separate the framework from the higher level applications.
This will let users like you use the power of the framework with just the
part they need of the higher applications.
-Bruno

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
short answer is implementation time, coding and maintenance effort.

you talk about bloat, OO is very bloaty(sorry could not resist)

here is a scenario:
when you define an entity
ofbiz updates the Database automatically (does not add or delete columns).
when doing CRUD operation no coding is necessary.
when adding services the minilanq save many Java operation and maintenance.
you define a screen and the entity is updated, you don't have go back to
the screen and modify screen.

Also ofbiz as it stands is ERP capable, however I have some 50
applications that cover many different businesses models (education,
food industry, film industry, Farming, flower shops, charters, airline
ticketing, legal, to name a few). I have disabled many features of ofbiz
since they are not needed.
Hans has in the Trunk, a Travel/reservation  demo. This does not use the
ERP as such.

The one short coming of ofbiz is the backend UI, it is not user friendly
or intuitive. There is an ongoing process to fix this.

I resolved this by using SWT that is linked to ofbiz.

=========================
BJ Freeman  <http://bjfreeman.elance.com>
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man

Vadim Eisenberg sent the following on 9/6/2010 9:08 AM:
> BJ, Hans, Bruno,
>
> Thank you for your ideas and clarifications. I wonder, however, why the
> general application framework of OfBiz could be better than other Java EE
> open-source frameworks, such as Spring or JBoss ?  I guess the real
> strength of OfBiz are its ERP applications, but I doubt if the whole gamut
> of ERP applications could be used in AAL. Could application framework of
> OfBiz compete with open source frameworks such as Spring or JBoss ?
>
> Best Regards,
> Vadim
> -------------------------------
> Vadim Eisenberg
> IT for Healthcare&  Life Sciences
> IBM Research - Haifa
>

> Bruno Busco<br...@gmail.com>  wrote on 05/09/2010 04:30:01 PM:

>> Bruno Busco<br...@gmail.com>

>> user@ofbiz.apache.org

>> 05/09/2010 04:31 PM

>> Re: Ofbiz and AAL was OfBiz e-commerce customization
>>
>> Yes, the idea is to distribute the framework with some basic
> applications
>> that allows to manage parties and contents.
>> On top of that, specific applications (even not ERP) can be build by the
>> user.
>> The custom application can leverage all the features the framework
> offers.
>>
>> Right now the specialpurpose directory with all contained applications
> can
>> easily be removed from an installation so that all related db tables are
> not
>> created.
>> On the contrary, it is not possible to eliminate all the applications
>> contained in the "Applications" directory because the framework depends
> on
>> them.
>> We are working to eliminate those dependencies so that only used
>> applications could be installed or even none of them.
>>
>> -Bruno
>>
>> 2010/9/5 Vadim Eisenberg<VA...@il.ibm.com>
>>
>>> Hi Bruno,
>>>
>>> Do you mean that the framework could be (in the future) used as a
> general
>>> SOA architecture for running applications, not necessary ERP related ?
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Vadim
>>> -------------------------------
>>> Vadim Eisenberg
>>> IT for Healthcare&  Life Sciences
>>> IBM Research - Haifa
>>>

>>> From:
>>> Bruno Busco<br...@gmail.com>
>>> To:
>>> user@ofbiz.apache.org
>>> Date:
>>> 05/09/2010 03:06 PM

Posted by Vadim Eisenberg <VA...@il.ibm.com>.
BJ, Hans, Bruno,

===========================================================================================================

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vadim Eisenberg <VA...@il.ibm.com>.
Hi Bruno,

Do you mean that the framework could be (in the future) used as a general
SOA architecture for running applications, not necessary ERP related ?

Best Regards,
Vadim
-------------------------------
Vadim Eisenberg