Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Kathi Porter <kp...@pacbell.net> on 2007/08/12 21:50:36 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache server service within a knoppix VMWare appliance?

Hi;
  I'm a brand-spanking new "newbie when it comes to Apache web server. I'll be atking a class next spring, but wanted to install it and "play" with it a bit before then.
I'm running a knoppix (linux/X Windows GUI) virtual appliance within a Windows XP enviroment (a DSL modem connected to a wireless router, with a firewall enabled on the router). In looking at the contents of the virtual HD root folder, the /etc/apache/ directory structure is present and contains the Apache configuration files. So I took a "leap of faith" and assumed Apache server was already installed & started on this image. But when I start the Firefox browser and enter the url - http://localhost/ I got the following error message:
  "Unable to connect. Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at the locahost." So this has to mean the service isn't running. I don't see it listed among the installed applications. Does X Windows have an equivalent of the Microsoft Windows control panel? I checked under the control center, system, utlities and settings but didn't find anything familiar. Do I need to do the binary install from
  http://www.uniontransit.com/apache/httpd/binaries/linux/
  Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
  Thanks & regards,
  kp

Re: [users@httpd] Apache server service within a knoppix VMWare appliance?

Posted by Kathi Porter <kp...@pacbell.net>.
Hi Robert;

  Thanks. It seems that the startup file was apache2 in the /init.d directory.

  regards,

  KP

Robert F Hall <rf...@berkeley.edu> wrote:
  Kathi, try ./apachectl instead of apachectl.   Looks like the current dir is not in root's PATH.
-Robert

Kathi Porter wrote, on 8/12/2007 3:06 PM:     Hi Noodl;

  thanks for all the info. Even I can't remember how I got to that download site... Anyway, I opened a command line (as root) and tried the "apachectl start" command, but it came back with "bash: apachectl: command not found. I'll keep doggedly pursuing this. And thanks for the link.

  regards,

  KP

Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com> wrote:
  On 13/08/07, Kathi Porter wrote:
> Hi;
> I'm a brand-spanking new "newbie when it comes to Apache web server. I'll be
> atking a class next spring, but wanted to install it and "play" with it a
> bit before then.
> I'm running a knoppix

I haven't ever used knoppix so can't answer your questions directly, sorry.

> (linux/X Windows GUI) virtual appliance within a
> Windows XP enviroment (a DSL modem connected to a wireless router, with a
> firewall enabled on the router). In looking at the contents of the virtual
> HD root folder, the /etc/apache/ directory structure is present and contains
> the Apache configuration files. So I took a "leap of faith" and assumed
> Apache server was already installed & started on this image. But when I
> start the Firefox browser and enter the url - http://localhost/ I got the
> following error message:
> "Unable to connect. Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at
> the locahost." So this has to mean the service isn't running.

Quite probably, yes.

> I don't see it
> listed among the installed applications. Does X Windows have an equivalent
> of the Microsoft Windows control panel?

No, in fact because X Windows has very few applications, and they're
mostly for testing. Rather, it's the underlying mechanism by which
certain applications send and recieve events to the screen.

> I checked under the control center,
> system, utlities and settings but didn't find anything familiar.

There's likely to be some GUI for starting and stopping services, but
perhaps not. Am I right in thinking that knoppix is a 'live' linux
installation that loses all 'state' (knowledge of previous runs) after
reboot? In any case, try opening a command line and running 'apachectl
start' as root.

> Do I need
> to do the binary install from
> http://www.uniontransit.com/apache/httpd/binaries/linux/

No! They're all way out of date. How did you find that site, by the
way? Having an 'apache' directory in /etc indicates that you have
apache installed.

> Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

You might like to seek out a knoppix specific support channel for
this. In two years I don't recall anybody asking for help with this
OS, largely because of the 'no saved state' thing, but I could be
missing the point.

It doesn't have your distro, but this wiki page may help you find what's where:

http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/DistrosDefaultLayout

--
noodl

Re: [users@httpd] Apache server service within a knoppix VMWare appliance?

Posted by Robert F Hall <rf...@berkeley.edu>.

Posted by Kathi Porter <kp...@pacbell.net>.
Hi Noodl;

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kathi Porter <kp...@pacbell.net>.
Hi;

  Yes, I'm trying to reach http://localhost/ . I tried the command you gave me; initially it errored-out with a "command not found". I browsed to that directory and found a file called apache2 and used that instead. It was successful in that the system reported:
  "Starting Apache 2.0 web server....apache2: Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName." I tried the http://localhost/ again but now I get no error message, but a blank web page. I then checked the httpd.conf file (per
  http://apache-server.com/tutorials/ATgetting-started.html#installing ) and the ServerName is localhost. Hmmm... any ideas? Hey this is kind of fun...

  Thanks & regards,

  KP

Victor Trac <vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
  On 8/12/07, Kathi Porter <kp...@pacbell.net> wrote:      Hi;
[...]

Are you trying to reach "http://localhost" from the knoppix virtual machine or from the Windows host?  Each operating system treats that address as its own.  If apache is actually running, the localhost address will only work from inside the knoppix VM.

By having /etc/apache, it is likely that apache is already installed on your virtual machine, however, it may not be running.  You can try dropping down to a shell, typing "sudo /etc/init.d/apache start" and then seeing if that works.

You may have better luck asking the knoppix folks.

--
http://www.victortrac.com

Re: [users@httpd] Apache server service within a knoppix VMWare appliance?

Posted by Victor Trac <vi...@gmail.com>.