Posted to users@sling.apache.org by Craig Ganoe <cg...@psu.edu> on 2011/07/27 18:33:14 UTC

creating or giving users full write access?

How can I create a user that has full write access (including adding
nodes and modifying their properties)?

I followed the instructions here under "Create user":
http://sling.apache.org/site/managing-users-and-groups-jackrabbitusermanager.html

But the users I create using the instructions seem to have read-only
access. I even tried adding "-u admin:admin" to the curl command which
seemed to let me get around the Self-Registration Enabled setting (I
was hoping this would make the accounts non-anonymous), but they still
end up with read-only access.

The Jackrabbit docs talk about 3 classes of users: anonymous, normal
and system the latter 2 of which have full read/write, but I don't see
anywhere there about how to control that either.

Sorry if this is already explained somewhere that I'm missing. Thanks!

Craig

Re: creating or giving users full write access?

Posted by Julian Sedding <js...@gmail.com>.
Hi Craig

1. Child nodes do inherit permissions from parent nodes.

2. The admin user is special (in Jackrabbit) and therefore not a good
example to look at. It has access to everything and cannot be
restricted AFAIK. I don't know about default groups/users in
Jackrabbit, since I work with CRX, but I suspect that there are none.

You probably want to start by creating a group and granting it full
access to the root node. Then assign your user to the group and check
if that works as expected.

Regards
Julian

Posted by Eric Norman <er...@gmail.com>.
Hi Craig,

The permissions in the jackrabbit implementation are inherited from the
parent, so if you grant the permissions at the root or some other parent
folder, it applies to the children as well.

A quick way to see what privileges in effect for a node to to view the
effective permissions json as described [1]

1.
http://sling.apache.org/site/managing-permissions-jackrabbitaccessmanager.html

Regards,
Eric