Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Derek Richardson <De...@appiancorp.com> on 2003/07/29 21:50:36 UTC

Action Chaining and File Uploads

Is there a way to make action chaining and file uploads play nice with each other? Currently it seems that the processing to access the form data is happening every time an action is invoked but, after the first time, the input stream is at EOF and none of the parameters can be accessed.

The best way I can think of to do this is to wrap the request in the multipart wrapper in a filter; when is struts going to use filters for things like this (knowing that they are not being used now for reasons of backwards-compatibility)? I'm wondering if I made the fix how long I'll have to maintain it before it can be incorporated.

Thanks,

Derek Richardson

RE: Action Chaining and File Uploads

Posted by Andrew Hill <an...@gridnode.com>.
Ah... another entry to the "joys of action chaining" list.

Action chaining is bad. You should avoid it like the plague because it will
only ever end in tears...

What I heard about filters was that it would be in struts 2.x - so quite a
while yet I think :-(
Hmm... lets see, 1.0.2 to 1.1.0 took about a year iirc, so at that rate Id
say 2.0.0 (and thus use of filters by struts) will be out maybe by late
2012.
<sigh/>