Posted to testers@httpd.apache.org by DEVEZE Vincent <Vi...@gemplus.com> on 2005/12/05 16:52:23 UTC

Which testing principles applied in Apache Http server development

Hi,
Sorry for the following naïve question.
Can someone explain me which kind of testing activites are performed on apache server.
I understand the FAQ point : http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/FAQ.html#tested
But I wonder how consistency with RFC2616 is ensure and what is the apache teams testing global strategy.
Do some http test suites exist focused on standard compliancy (and not only on loading or security) ?

Best regards

Vince

________________________________
Vincent Deveze
+33 442365857
+33 616368428

Re: Which testing principles applied in Apache Http server development

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Vincent,

   as httpd project is a distributed project, there's not really a centralized,
unified validation of the server.  Each contributor/tester applies their
own tools and methods to the release candidates, on the platforms that are
significant to them.

   Some shared tools include the perl-framework at http://httpd.apache.org/test/
which provides regression checks for many common scenarios, as well as some
specific scenarios that have bitten us in the past.  Also in that subproject
are the flood tool, to provide well defined stress loads on the server.

   Many authors of propritary tools test (and report back to) httpd to both
ensure it's compliance, and validate their test suite.  The Apache httpd
server is, after all, one reference implementation.  Others use such tools
to validate the server.

   And there are open source projects, as well, with interest in the httpd
user and developer community.

   So in short, there's no 'simple answer' to your question, but the diversity
I've described helps to ensure httpd meets the expectations of the entire
internet, administrators and web development communities.

Bill