Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org> on 2008/06/25 20:45:07 UTC

telnetd discussion

Hey everyone,

The following is intended as a summary of the recent discussion on
telnetd (most of this analysis is from an email Felix Meschberger sent me).

The following bundles are necessary for remote shell access to Felix:

   1. Felix' standard shell bundle (i.e., shell bundle).
   2. Dieter's telnetd bundle (i.e., telnetd bundle).
   3. Dieter shell-telnetd glue bundle (i.e., glue bundle).

Dieter also mentioned that the telnetd bundle depended on a commons
bundle, but we could easily package this into the telnetd bundle so that
it is self-contained (we can help make this happen with the maven bundle
plugin).

 From Felix' analysis, we could simplify creating remote shell access by
having the glue bundle inject a dummy configuration into telnetd's
ManagedServiceFactory so that the Config Admin dependency could be
optional. This all sounds good. (We could even consider embedding the
telnetd stuff directly into the glue bundle, but that is another
discussion.)

Given this setup, we can ponder where should the telnetd and glue bundle
projects reside? The obvious choices are at the Source Forge telnetd
site or at Felix. I think that any combination can be reasonably argued.
Here is my personal take...

I definitely think it makes sense to create a subproject for the glue
bundle at Felix, I am less certain about the telnetd bundle itself.
While I definitely want to support the telnetd bundle, I am not sure if
it really falls into the scope of the Felix project.

I guess the question is, is telnetd a completely generic telnet
implementation that could easily be used outside of OSGi or not? If so,
then it seems like it should be separate from Felix. On the other hand,
if the implementation is somehow tied to OSGi, then it might make sense
to host it at Felix.

Another possibility is that telnetd is generic, but that it has some
sort of wrapper that integrates it into an OSGi environment, then maybe
it makes sense to host the wrapper at Felix, keeping the generic library
at SF.

I would definitely like to see this functionality available. My mind is
open as to how to achieve it, so what does everyone else think?

-> richard

Re: telnetd discussion

Posted by Pedro Pedruzzi <pp...@v2com.mobi>.
Completely agreed.

It is very nice to have a lightweight raw connection glue bundle for
shell access. The security weakness can be easily suppressed by
allowing only trusted hosts (in a local network or something).

By the other hand, it is very useful to have that full featured
implementation. Mainly for applications wanting remote access with
authentication and security requirements. That's where telnetd2 has a
lot to help felix.

Pedro Pedruzzi | V2COM

Re: telnetd discussion

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

RE: telnetd discussion

Posted by Craig Phillips <lc...@praxiseng.com>.
Hi,

Just tried it out... super small and super fast... For the tiny solution, this looks perfect...

Any chance I could see the source? I want to learn!  :)

BTW - I'm working through the tutorial page on the Felix shell service as I want to do other mediums, such as JMS and JMX...

Kind regards, Craig Phillips

Re: telnetd discussion

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
Did you try to look at the threaddump
(http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Programming/Stacktrace/)?
Could you maybe post it?

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

RE: telnetd discussion (ordering of bundles)

Posted by Craig Phillips <lc...@praxiseng.com>.
Hi,

Well... it was the order of the bundles within the auto.start.1...  The telnetd.jar or telnetconsole.jar bundle has to be the first entry (well, for me), ahead of shell and tui... When I put telnetd.jar / telnetconsole.jar last, well -- then I get a conflict...

For what it's worth, Craig

RE: telnetd discussion

Re: telnetd discussion

Posted by Rob Walker <ro...@ascert.com>.
Woah - 15KB!
Nice work Dieter - that should help the embedded folks!
- R

--

Ascert - Taking systems to the Edge
robw@ascert.com

Re: telnetd discussion

Posted by Dieter Wimberger <di...@wimpi.net>.
Felix, Craig:

I have dropped the sources for the telnetconsole bundle here:
http://www.karanet.at/~wimpi/felix/telnetconsole-src.zip

//@license@ should be the Apache 2 License (of the Felix Project).

The headers I used are:

-> headers 5

Apache Felix Telnet Management Console (5)
Bundle-Activator = org.apache.felix.telnetconsole.impl.Activator
Bundle-Copyright = 2004-2008 VFI (http://www.vfi.or.at)
Bundle-Description = Felix Telnet Console Bundle
Export-Package = none
Bundle-Version = 1.0
Created-By = 1.5.0_13-119 (Apple Inc.)
Build-Number = 4
Bundle-ClassPath = .
Manifest-Version = 1.0
Bundle-Vendor = Apache Foundation
Bundle-ContactAddress = dieter at wimpi.net
Bundle-Category = console
Bundle-Name = Apache Felix Telnet Management Console
Ant-Version = Apache Ant 1.7.0
Built-By = wimpi
Import-Package = org.osgi.framework,org.apache.felix.shell
Bundle-SymbolicName = org.apache.felix.telnetconsole

If you can point out some docs how I would be able to "mavenize" this,
let me know. Just for the moment I thought it may take me more time to
do that, then to write the stuff itself.

Regards,
Dieter

Re: telnetd discussion

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dieter,

That _IS_ cool. Thanks alot. While full telnetd functionality is
certainly valid in its own right. For a simple Felix shell it is
probably sufficient to have such a tiny thing.

Are you willing to contribute the source of this to Apache Felix ?

Regards
Felix

Re: telnetd discussion

Posted by Dieter Wimberger <di...@wimpi.net>.
Richard, all:

Re: telnetd discussion

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Re: telnetd discussion

Posted by Dieter Wimberger <di...@wimpi.net>.
Richard, all:

Re: telnetd discussion

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
p.s. A lot of this discussion is based on the assumption that Dieter is
will and interested in closer integration with the Felix community. :-)

Re: telnetd discussion

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 9:08 PM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for summarizing this up here.
>
> I agree to have the shell-telnetd glue at Felix and I am equally open and
> share the same concerns with respect to telnetd.

Same here.

> I think this may best be answered by Dieter.

I agree.

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: telnetd discussion

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Thanks for summarizing this up here.

I agree to have the shell-telnetd glue at Felix and I am equally open
and share the same concerns with respect to telnetd. I think this may
best be answered by Dieter.

Regards
Felix