Posted to user@spark.apache.org by "Mendelson, Assaf" <As...@rsa.com> on 2016/10/06 15:46:50 UTC

spark standalone with multiple workers gives a warning

Hi,
I have a spark standalone cluster. On it, I am using 3 workers per node.
So I added SPARK_WORKER_INSTANCES set to 3 in spark-env.sh
The problem is, that when I run spark-shell I get the following warning:
WARN SparkConf:
SPARK_WORKER_INSTANCES was detected (set to '3').
This is deprecated in Spark 1.0+.

Please instead use:
- ./spark-submit with --num-executors to specify the number of executors
- Or set SPARK_EXECUTOR_INSTANCES
- spark.executor.instances to configure the number of instances in the spark config.

So how would I start a cluster of 3? SPARK_WORKER_INSTANCES is the only way I see to start the standalone cluster and the only way I see to define it is in spark-env.sh. The spark submit option, SPARK_EXECUTOR_INSTANCES and spark.executor.instances are all related to submitting the job.

Any ideas?
Thanks
                Assaf

RE: spark standalone with multiple workers gives a warning

Posted by "Mendelson, Assaf" <As...@rsa.com>.
I am using the script in sbin to set it up (spark/sbin/start-all.sh). It works fine. The problem is how to configure more than one worker per node (the default is one worker only). The documentation for 1.6.1 suggested SPARK_WORKER_INSTANCES as the way to do it but the latest documentation has no option for it.
The warning does not appear when I start the cluster but rather when I submit an application.
I see no way to define  SPARK_WORKER_INSTANCES when starting the cluster but not define it when submitting an application.
Assaf.

Re: spark standalone with multiple workers gives a warning

Posted by Ofer Eliassaf <of...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a spark standalone cluster. On it, I am using 3 workers per node.
>
> So I added SPARK_WORKER_INSTANCES set to 3 in spark-env.sh
>
> The problem is, that when I run spark-shell I get the following warning:
>
> WARN SparkConf:
>
> SPARK_WORKER_INSTANCES was detected (set to '3').
>
> This is deprecated in Spark 1.0+.
>

> Please instead use:
>
> - ./spark-submit with --num-executors to specify the number of executors
>
> - Or set SPARK_EXECUTOR_INSTANCES
>
> - spark.executor.instances to configure the number of instances in the
> spark config.
>

> So how would I start a cluster of 3? SPARK_WORKER_INSTANCES is the only
> way I see to start the standalone cluster and the only way I see to define
> it is in spark-env.sh. The spark submit option, SPARK_EXECUTOR_INSTANCES
> and spark.executor.instances are all related to submitting the job.
>

> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
>                 Assaf

Ofer Eliassaf