Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <sb...@stason.org> on 2000/02/29 20:02:32 UTC

[OT/Perl] Results of Language Comparison Study (fwd)

[You will find this information fascinating and helpful for advocating and
reasoning of using perl and not other languages for a search/string
processing tasks (well, *we* know that, but this is an academic paper --
the exact kind, IT managers like).

Sorry for yet another offtopic, I've no idea when the advocacy list will
return back to life]

Posted by Stas Bekman <sb...@stason.org>.
> Stas Bekman writes:
> > [You will find this information fascinating and helpful for advocating and
> > reasoning of using perl and not other languages for a search/string
> > processing tasks (well, *we* know that, but this is an academic paper --
> > the exact kind, IT managers like).
> >
> > Sorry for yet another offtopic, I've no idea when the advocacy list will
> > return back to life]
>
> Argh.  This is how things escape into the wild.  The author has not
> released the paper yet.  It is stamped DRAFT all over each page.  The
> author is waiting a week for feedback from program authors before he
> releases the paper for sure.
>
> Please do not distribute the URL or refer to it until the author
> releases the paper for real.  This will avoid the embarrassing
> situation where you say "see this paper for reasons to use Perl" and
> the author has revised Perl down to bottom on his list of hot
> languages, so your boss revokes your Perl privileges. :-)

Good point, Nathan. Use this info carefully.

The information was spread already. So the interested parties can poll
this report's homepage to see when it finally gets released.

And hey, you all can contribute to this paper too and make sure Perl stays
on top, and using the draft as a final version :)

Posted by Nathan Torkington <gn...@frii.com>.
Stas Bekman writes:
> [You will find this information fascinating and helpful for advocating and
> reasoning of using perl and not other languages for a search/string
> processing tasks (well, *we* know that, but this is an academic paper --
> the exact kind, IT managers like).
>
> Sorry for yet another offtopic, I've no idea when the advocacy list will
> return back to life]

Argh.  This is how things escape into the wild.  The author has not
released the paper yet.  It is stamped DRAFT all over each page.  The
author is waiting a week for feedback from program authors before he
releases the paper for sure.

Please do not distribute the URL or refer to it until the author
releases the paper for real.  This will avoid the embarrassing
situation where you say "see this paper for reasons to use Perl" and
the author has revised Perl down to bottom on his list of hot
languages, so your boss revokes your Perl privileges. :-)

Thanks,

Nat