Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Kim Haase <Ca...@Sun.COM> on 2008/10/06 16:39:07 UTC

Feedback requested on proposed change to documentation format

I'd like to know what the Derby community thinks about the possibility
of changing the source format of the Derby documentation from DITA to
DocBook and using a different build system. DocBook is a schema that can
use an XML DTD, like that of DITA; see http://www.docbook.org/ for more
information.

Our DITA toolkit has some problems that the Derby community hasn't been
able to solve with our current level of resources:

- It does not allow us to create book indexes or to create live links
between manuals. The feedback we've received is that this makes the
documentation hard to use.
- Links to tables usually don't work in the PDF or HTML Book versions.
- Building the PDF and HTML Book versions of the docs causes errors and
warnings that we can't seem to get rid of.

Conversion of the documentation source to DocBook would be a one-time
task that I'd be willing to take on. I can also use an existing DocBook
build system that, like the DITA toolkit, uses only freely available
open-source tools. The only change is that it would need to convert from
Gnu make to Ant to be compatible with the Apache license. The goal would
be to make it no more difficult to build the documentation than it is
today (and ideally easier). I would hope to complete the project for the
next release of Derby (10.5).

Before I explore these possibilities further, I'd like feedback from the
community. It seems that few people are currently working on the Derby
documentation, but many of you are using it. I would be grateful for
your thoughts.

Kim Haase

Re: Feedback requested on proposed change to documentation format

Posted by Kim Haase <Ca...@Sun.COM>.
On 10/06/08 11:07, Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Kim Haase wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to know what the Derby community thinks about the possibility
>> of changing the source format of the Derby documentation from DITA to
>> DocBook and using a different build system. DocBook is a schema that
>> can use an XML DTD, like that of DITA; see http://www.docbook.org/ for
>> more information.
>>
>> Our DITA toolkit has some problems that the Derby community hasn't
>> been able to solve with our current level of resources:
>>
>> - It does not allow us to create book indexes or to create live links
>> between manuals. The feedback we've received is that this makes the
>> documentation hard to use.
>> - Links to tables usually don't work in the PDF or HTML Book versions.
>> - Building the PDF and HTML Book versions of the docs causes errors
>> and warnings that we can't seem to get rid of.
>
> That says what DITA cannot do, but doesn't indicate any benefits of
> docbook, what would be the benefits of switching?
>
> Dan.

The chief benefit is that it would resolve these problems without losing
the advantages of the topic-oriented structure of DITA or the ability of
the toolkit to generate documentation in various formats.

DocBook, though highly structured, is also somewhat less restrictive: it
does not force you into a small subset of allowed elements within
topics, which in the Derby docs has let to some odd choices of elements.

I'm still in the early stages of investigating this change, and if the
disadvantages turn out to outweigh the advantages I'll be the first to
say so.

Hope this helps --

Kim

Re: Feedback requested on proposed change to documentation format

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Kim,

+1 to a documentation format which lets us build indexes and
intra-document hotlinks. If we migrate to a new system, I hope that it
preserves the following features of the old system:

1) Is driven by an ant script. This would make it easy to integrate into
a master target which the release manager could use to build
documentation and code.

2) Only uses tools which come with Apache-compatible licenses.

3) Only uses tools which are easy to get off the web without a lot of
prep and license click-through.

Thanks,
-Rick