Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> on 2003/05/19 10:15:52 UTC

Re: [lang].time.* Was: [VOTE] Release of Commons Lang 2.0

From: "Henri Yandell" <ba...@generationjava.com>
> 1) Should lang contain time related code?
Yes, so long as it doesn't become a rewrite of time classes, thats
http://www.joda.org

> 2) Is there anything in lang.time which should not go in Lang 2.0?

StopWatch - complete
FastDateFormat - probably OK, needs final checking
CalendarUtils - needs a little work to tidy it up. Probably should be called
DateUtils and merged with any useful parts of DateUtils
DateUtils - needs much work, merge useful parts with CalendarUtils

I would like to try to get this in 2.0. It should delay us by a week
perhaps?

The vote (which will need to be stopped and started again later) should
specify the exclusion of the reflect subpackage. In fact we may want to move
it into the sandbox, maybe under [reflect].

Stephen

> My vote:
>
> 1) Yes. As always I believe that code should mature out of Lang unless it
> is large enough to be kicked out before birth. Joda Dates,
> http://www.joda.org, helps avoid a need for one aspect of a Commons Time
> and as lang.time grows it could form the basis of another Commons Time, or
> the bits that don't fit could.
>
> 2) DateUtils needs splicing and dicing or just removing.
>
>   i) Various parts are DateFormat related, providing 'standard' patterns.
>  ii) Some DateFormatUtils classes to ease conversion.
> iii) Limited method to format elapsed millisecond time.
>  iv) Calculate phase of moon for a given date.
>   v) format Date for SMTP header
>
> None of these seem right for Lang.time and I would like us to just release
> CalendarUtils/StopWatch/FastDateFormat.
>
> Hen
>
> On Sun, 18 May 2003, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > StopWatch is a great doo-dad, which I use, it'd be a shame to loose it.
Are
> > we talking about discussing a .lang.time vs. a new commons-time? If not,
> > could we just decide which classes are (not) ready?
> >
> > Gary

There's

Re: [lang].time.* - almost at 2.0...

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
I have tidied up the time package as follows:

StopWatch - duration formatter moved to DurationFormatUtils
FastDateFormat - additional JDK1.4 pattern letter added (plus extra one for
ISO)
DateUtils split to DateFormatUtils and DurationFormatUtils
CalendarUtils renamed to DateUtils

DurationFormatUtils is package scoped ATM, as it needs more work. You need
to be able to control which fields get output.
DateUtils (previously CalendarUtils) has not been checked for releasability
yet.

I am away for a few days if anyone wants to look at CalendarUtils and check
it over...then we should be clear for 2.0.

Stephen