Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by stockii <st...@googlemail.com> on 2012/03/15 10:59:39 UTC

Master/Slave switch on teh fly. Replication

Hello.

Is it possible to switch master/slave on the fly without restarting the
server?

-----
------------------------------- System ----------------------------------------

One Server, 12 GB RAM, 2 Solr Instances, 8 Cores,
1 Core with 45 Million Documents other Cores < 200.000

- Solr1 for Search-Requests - commit every Minute  - 5GB Xmx
- Solr2 for Update-Request  - delta every Minute - 4GB Xmx

Re: Master/Slave switch on teh fly. Replication

Posted by Michael Kuhlmann <ku...@solarier.de>.
Am 16.03.2012 15:05, schrieb stockii:
> i have 8 cores ;-)
>
> i thought that replication is defined in solrconfig.xml and this file is
> only load on startup and i cannot change master to slave and slave to master
> without restarting the servlet-container ?!?!?!

No, you can reload the whole core at any time, without interruption.
Even with a new solrconfig.xml.

You can even add a new core at runtime, fill it with data and switch
cores afterwards.

See http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CoreAdmin for details.

-Kuli

Re: Master/Slave switch on teh fly. Replication

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
What's the use-case? Presumably you have different configs...

I'm actually not sure if you can do a reload
see: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CoreAdmin#RELOAD
without a core, but you could try.

Best
Erick