Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> on 2006/09/24 19:57:00 UTC

[VOTE] 10.2.1.5 release

I have abandoned my first, flawed build of the 10.2 release. Thanks to
Dan, Jean, Andrew, and Knut Anders for finding the initial defects. I
have re-spun a new build, 10.2.1.5, which hopefully addresses all of the
issues (except for the spurious derby.logs which Jean found in the
source distributions). This candidate passed a sanity run of the
derbyall regression tests. You may find the 10.2.1.5 release candidate here:

http://people.apache.org/~rhillegas/10.2.1.5/

Please download this candidate, test it, and vote on whether you can
accept it as a Derby release. I would like to close the vote at 5:00 pm
San Francisco time on Wednesday October 4, 2006. Please let me know if
you think we need to extend the vote to allow more testing.

We still need someone to build the Eclipse UI plugin and include our
LICENSE and NOTICE files. See DERBY-1529. It would be good to know in
the next couple days who is going to re-spin the Eclipse UI plugin.

Thanks once again to everyone for all of your hard work.

Regards,
-Rick

Re: Xalan version

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com>.
>> I've tested with Xalan 2.5 and 2.7 and I think Bryan Pendleton has run
>> tests with 2.7.

Correct; I have successfully used the SQL/XML support using Xalan 2.7.

The release note looks good to me. Thanks for adding it, Rick!

bryan

Re: [VOTE] 10.2.1.5 release

Posted by Army <qo...@gmail.com>.
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Hi Army,
>
> I have added this as a separate section in the release notes.
>
> Regards,
> -Rick

Thanks Rick!
Army

Re: [VOTE] 10.2.1.5 release

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.

Re: Re: [VOTE] 10.2.1.5 release

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On 9/29/06, Army <qo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If we're going to generate another round of release notes, I'd like to again
> mention that I think we should include somewhere the recommended version of
> Xalan for use of the SQL/XML operators.

Too late for this release, but why not just include a version of Xalan
known to work in the  distributions?

andrew

Re: [VOTE] 10.2.1.5 release

Posted by Army <qo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Re: [VOTE] 10.2.1.5 release

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On 9/29/06, Rick Hillegas <Ri...@sun.com> wrote:

> I just sent out mail about this. I think I need to spin a new release
> candidate. But I'm unsure when I should do this. What are your thoughts?

just posted, in the other thread. :-)

Re: [VOTE] 10.2.1.5 release

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> On 9/29/06, Rick Hillegas <Ri...@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Andrew,
>>
>> I missed your follow-up mail describing problems with the release notes.
>> Could you re-post it?
>

> Hi,
>
> Sorry, just hadn't sent it yet as i was giving it one last scan.
>
> * I think "As in previous releases, 10.2.1.5 functionality includes:"
> could just be "10.2.1.5 functionality includes:" since GRANT/REVOKE is
> in the list underneath, and wasn't in previous releases.
>
> * The note about building the JDBC 4 source from the -src distribution
> is gone, replaced with a link to the wiki, and there's no wiki page
> that I can see that describes how to build the JDBC 4 bits from the
> source on the wiki or use the scripts in tools/jdbc4.
>
> * DERBY-690 in the new features has an extra ! before ResultSet
>
> * DERBY-31, 100, 117, 400, 515, and 597 are really new
> features/improvements but show up in the bugs list.
>
> * long from release note for DERBY-668, SOLUTION looks truncated.
>
> * DERBY-822 long form "Location where errors occur *in an* embedded
> environment *from a network client environment*"
>
> * Link to PerformanceDiagnosisTips in DERBY-1357 long form would be
> nice, not a big deal though.
>
> That's all I could find. Thanks for waiting for my tardy review and
> for taking the time to address all the issues.

Thanks, Andrew, for your thorough review. I will make these changes.

> What's your plan now for updating, regenerating, recutting the
> distributions?
>
> andrew

I just sent out mail about this. I think I need to spin a new release
candidate. But I'm unsure when I should do this. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: Re: [VOTE] 10.2.1.5 release

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 10.2.1.5 release

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Andrew,

Re: [VOTE] 10.2.1.5 release

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 10.2.1.5 release

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On 9/24/06, Rick Hillegas <Ri...@sun.com> wrote:
> I have abandoned my first, flawed build of the 10.2 release. Thanks to
> Dan, Jean, Andrew, and Knut Anders for finding the initial defects. I
> have re-spun a new build, 10.2.1.5, which hopefully addresses all of the
> issues (except for the spurious derby.logs which Jean found in the
> source distributions). This candidate passed a sanity run of the
> derbyall regression tests. You may find the 10.2.1.5 release candidate here:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~rhillegas/10.2.1.5/
>
> Please download this candidate, test it, and vote on whether you can
> accept it as a Derby release. I would like to close the vote at 5:00 pm
> San Francisco time on Wednesday October 4, 2006. Please let me know if
> you think we need to extend the vote to allow more testing.

I have verified all of the PGP signatures and MD5s. (btw, I have a
simple script for this if anybody wants it)

I ran the platform tests on Mac OS X 10.4.7 with Apple's JDK 1.5, and
Linux 2.6 x86_64 with Sun JDK 1.5 and IBM 1.5 and no unexpected issues
were encountered.

The paths of the test jars inside the lib-debug jar were messed up,
with the test jars going into a top level 'db-derby-10.2.1.5-bin' dir
instead of -lib-debug. I checked in a fix to trunk with 451065 and
451066. It's pretty ugly, but this could also be fixed by hand and
resigned if you so desired, and ultimately, this is not so bad I would
give the whole release a -1.

Re: [VOTE] 10.2.1.5 release

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Because of the structural problems with the first release candidate, I
am cancelling the vote on 10.2.1.5. I will post a new candidate and call
a new vote shortly.

Regards,
-Rick