Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Leo <le...@secline.com.br> on 2005/01/27 18:30:40 UTC

Modperl Handlers [ was: Apache Client Filehandle]

Geoffrey Young wrote:

>please keep posts on-list so everyone can benefit :)

Oops.  I'll do that.

>>Thanks for the sugestion; my handler has a flag that is set in an
>>application specific config file (not the apache.conf or any included
>>files therein) that should be able to turn off compression.
>>

>what you could do in that case is just disable mod_deflate:
>
>  $r->subprocess_env('no-gzip' => 1) if $some_custom_condition;

Very cool indead.

>the trick is, you need to do it before the PerlResponseHandler phase, such
>as from a PerlFixupHandler.

Even if no header data has been sent by the PerlResponseHandler?

I have only been using the ResponseHandler in my code except for one
instance where I read my application specific config file where I use
the PostConfigHandler.  But this configuration flag is specific to the
data instance being handled...

Maybe I'll divide the work between several handlers from now on.
Maybe I can use the PerlFixupHandler to the actual processing, use DBI,
process session data, set whatever special requirements are needed like
your sugestion above.
Then I can use the Response handler to perform the final template
processing before I send the clients it's data.

Do file scoped variables in perl survive between subsequent handler
calls?  what about subrequests (as in $r->internal_redirect(<somewhere>))

Lastly, I gather my initial idea of using some internal filehandle to
steal control even in special (rare) circumstances is unorthodox, but
not technically impossible, right?

Leo

Re: Modperl Handlers [ was: Apache Client Filehandle]

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Leo wrote:
> I'm replying to myself :) ? Cool.
>
> I found the answers to my questions below in the list and/or documentation.

fancy that :)

> Thanks for your time Geoffrey.

sure

>  I sometimes need to take a moment and
> look at documentation before I pop off emails.

that's always a good thing to do.  but feel free to keep posting here as
well - we're a nice place to be, full of helpful souls.

welcome.

Posted by Leo <le...@secline.com.br>.
I'm replying to myself :) ? Cool.

I found the answers to my questions below in the list and/or documentation.

Thanks for your time Geoffrey.  I sometimes need to take a moment and