Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by andy <an...@hazlorealidad.com> on 2005/06/17 07:10:53 UTC

Format of passwords in user table

I am using the database user table and want to insert a user firectly
into the table using mysql however when I insert a password using the
sha() mysql function the file shows that the SHA is much larger than
what was created by the manager program.

| username | pwdHash                                  | pwdAlgorithm |
useForwarding | forwardDestination | useAlias | alias |
| previous | +EwURJq9UhB2bCcWq4dDiFH8                 | SHA          |
0 | NULL               |        0 |       |
| testit   | 30274c47903bd1bac7633bbf09743149ebab805f | SHA          |
0 | NULL               |        0 |       |

The user created by hand doesnt validate.

What is the format I should use to insert a user into the database?

Thanks in advance

Andy Bailey

RE: Format of passwords in user table

Posted by Jason Webb <jw...@inovem.com>.
If you look in DefaultUser.java for the method setPassword(String newPass)
you'll find

hashedPassword = DigestUtil.digestString(newPass, algorithm);

where the algorithm is always "SHA"

So in answer to your question, use the Java SHA implementation rather than
the MySQL one. I don't know enough about SHA to tell you why they are
different.

-- Jason