Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by William McKee <wi...@knowmad.com> on 2005/08/20 11:49:09 UTC

Re: [mp2] make test errors

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 12:00:01AM +1000, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Great! William, can you please write a new entry for the troubleshooting
> chapter? With a full diagnosis and the solution? Really it should belong
> to the Apache-Test troubleshooting, but as at the moment it doesn't exist,
> we will just put it into the mp2's one.
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/troubleshooting/troubleshooting.html

Hi Stas,

I'm still alive; just been swamped. I'm not attaching this write-up as a
patch since I'm not sure where you'd want to put it within the
troubleshooting document. I'm not sure if I can provide a full diagnosis
as it's been awhile since I did this work, and I'm still having some
tests fail. It must have been the full moon and holding my tongue right
that made it work with no failures in my last report to you.

Nonetheless, the info below does clear up some of the errors I
originally reported back on Feb 13. If you can think of other details
that I should include, let me know and I'll dig up the messages from the
archives. BTW, I just built and tested mp 2.0.1 with Apache 2.0.54 on
FreeBSD 5.4 and all but 4 tests are passing.

-------------
Running tests inside a chroot environment

If you are building your Apache and mod_perl inside a chroot
environment, such as a FreeBSD jail, you may need to edit your
/etc/hosts file to add a localhost entry that resolves to to the ip
address of the jail rather than the default 127.0.0.1.
-------------

> >Also, the t/protocol/echo_filter.t test is failing. It runs tests 1 and
> >2 then keeps running until it fills up the disk space then dumps a
> >massive core file. I'm just skipping it for now.
>
> Yeah, I guess you are hitting again the non-blocking socket issue
> FreeBSD.  Please check the archives (I think on the dev list) talking
> about passing some special flag while building libapr to make the
> sockets work right.  Unfortunately it didn't end up in the docs and I
> don't have the info handy.

I've not been able to come across these messages which is too bad as the
4 failing tests (t/filter/both_str_con_ad, t/protocol/echo_block,
t/protocol/echo_filter, and t/protocol/pseudo_http) all seem to be
failing due to sockets. I noticed that 2.0.54 has APR 0.9.6 which
includes a FreeBSD-specific update from 0.9.5:

   *) Fix apr_socket_opt_set with APR_IPV6_V6ONLY flag.  Fixes httpd
     Listen IPv6 socket behavior on FreeBSD 5.x, OpenBSD, NetBSD.
     [Justin Erenkrantz]

Is this the one you were thinking of? I couldn't see where I needed to
pass any special flags to enable it.

Thanks,
William

--