Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Andrew Thorburn <a....@macaulay.ac.uk> on 2001/09/18 17:50:24 UTC

mod_include/8355: Server abends using SSI and Novell Netware to include other HTML files

>Number:         8355
>Category:       mod_include
>Synopsis:       Server abends using SSI and Novell Netware to include other HTML files
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
We are trying to port our current website, running on UNIX -Apache/1.3.9 (Unix)
to Netware to allow easier management on a new server. Started to replicate our
current UNIX setup onto the new Netware server. This set-up encompasses the use
of SSI for our navigation menus, etc.

Following the instructions in the set-up and the example of our current set-up
I allowed SSI to be enabled on the Netware. I copied a file with SSI commands,
from the UNIX server, to demonstrate that SSI works.

Upon loading this page the server abends with the error code
SERVER-5.0-4631 [nmID=1001C] (this is similiar to the problem
http://bugs.apache.org/index.cgi/full/7281 raised by Ron Davies).

I eventually worked out that the server abending is caused by the includes
command for both virtual and file.  Removing, or renaming the files so that
they do not have an .htm, .html or .shtml extension, allows the page to be
rendered properly and all the SSI commands are parsed as expected.

extracts from httpd.conf
**************************
#
# This should be changed to whatever you set DocumentRoot to.
#
<Directory "sys:/apache/htdocs">
#
# This may also be "None", "All", or any combination of "Indexes",
# "Includes", "FollowSymLinks", "ExecCGI", or "MultiViews".
#
# Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
# doesn't give it to you.
#
    Options +Indexes +FollowSymLinks +MultiViews +IncludesNOEXEC

#
# This controls which options the .htaccess files in directories can
# override. Can also be "All", or any combination of "Options", "FileInfo",
# "AuthConfig", and "Limit"
#
#    AllowOverride None
    AllowOverride Options
#
#
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
</Directory>
**************************
     #
     # To use server-parsed HTML files
     #
     AddType text/html .html .htm
     AddHandler server-parsed .html .htm

*************************
Extracts from /server-info

Server Version: Apache/1.3.20 (NETWARE)
Server Built: May 21 2001 17:23:06
API Version: 19990320:10
Run Mode: standalone
User/Group: #-1(1)/1
Daemons: start: 5    min idle: 5    max idle: 10    max: 2048
Max Requests: per child: 0    keep alive: on    max per connection: 100
Threads: per child: 50
Excess requests: per child: 0
Timeouts: connection: 300    keep-alive: 15
Server Root: sys:/apache
Config File: SYS:/APACHE/conf/httpd.conf
PID File: logs/httpd.pid
Scoreboard File: logs/apache_status

Module Name: mod_include.c
Content handlers: text/x-server-parsed-html , text/x-server-parsed-html3 , server-parsed , text/html
Configuration Phase Participation: Create Directory Config
Request Phase Participation: none
Module Directives:
     XBitHack - Off, On, or Full
Current Configuration:

*******************************
I would be grateful for any assistance that you might be able to give.
>How-To-Repeat:
Server is a development server and is currently not
accessible to external browsing.
>Fix:
I have tried to use file extensions other than .htm or .html or .shtml  This
does allow the files to be included and parsed correctly without the server
abending.

I have tried altering the httpd.conf to alter the server parsed section
but with no success. Our intention would be to copy all our files across
from the UNIX server with very few, if any, alterations.
 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]