Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> on 2003/11/05 09:53:04 UTC

current status of rhino+cont issue

Hi all,

I just wanted to quickly brief you about my talks with some board peeps
so far on this matter + my personal thoughts. Some of this can be
followed on the licensing list for those whose subscription is moderated
through.

Looking at the situation, I think the impasse is much bigger than it
seems at first sight. While Chris' fork is perfectly legal, integrating
the source into Cocoon CVS is a different thing:

- it is not in the interest of the Cocoon TLP to host a Javascript
engine implementation - and I think the ASF board has a perfectly good
point there
- we can not simply relicense Chris' fork without a proper donation and
transfer from the Mozilla peeps (which might or might not work out)
- Roy & Brian insist on exploring all possible options to remerge the
changes into the proper Rhino codebase
- if we succeed at this, we could explore the possibility of moving
rhino++ (with our continuations stuff added to the 'real' codebase) from
mozilla.org to ASF (but not to Cocoon) - which might attract a community
and could be a good thing for rhino itself

I'm busy ATM, but will report back if I have more news.

Cheers,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org