Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by 101questionjsf <in...@yahoo.com> on 2006/03/30 13:26:05 UTC

Spring, myfaces, hibernate

Currently I'm using only myfaces to do my application. Is it advisable to use
Spring and Hibernate? Can I proceed without them?

Currently, whenever connect to db to do something, I'm writing jdbc
statements, not using hibernate.

And never use Spring.

Only 1 jsp page linked to 1 managed bean.

Is my approach alright? or something wrong?
Sent from the MyFaces - Users forum at Nabble.com.

Re: Spring, myfaces, hibernate

Posted by Brian Woolf <ys...@163.com>.
there a good example : Put JSF to work By Derek Yang Shen ( Build a
real-world Web application with JavaServer Faces, the Spring Framework, and
Hibernate).

Posted by Jurgen Lust <Ju...@UGent.be>.
In my experience, apps that start out with 1 page and 1 bean tend to end
up being much more complex. So even in that case I would recommend
adding Spring en Hibernate to the mix, especially because of the KISS
principal:
Removing messy JDBC code and introducing IoC on all levels simplifies a
project tremendously.

Jurgen

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.
I agree with the previous poster but I would definitly take a look at
Spring's JDBCTemplate if I was you, which is very simple and makes
your jdbc code much easier to write. Say farewell to your messy
exception handling code :) Plus, if you want to switch to iBatis or
Hibernate later on, it will be much easier this way.

On 3/30/06, Adrian Merrall <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If your app really is 1 page and 1 bean (and likely to stay around
> this size) then I would think adding multiple frameworks is overkill,
> remember the KISS principal.  Some plain java and jdbc is fine.
>
> If you are thinking about persistance/data mapping frameworks to
> replace writing JDBC, don't forget to evaluate Apache iBatis as well
> as Hibernate.  There are some tutorials on the ibatis site under
> downloads.
>
> Regards,
>
> Adrian
> Auckland, NZ
>
> On 3/30/06, 101questionjsf <in...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Currently I'm using only myfaces to do my application. Is it advisable to use
> > Spring and Hibernate? Can I proceed without them?
> >
> > Currently, whenever connect to db to do something, I'm writing jdbc
> > statements, not using hibernate.
> >
> > And never use Spring.
> >
> > Only 1 jsp page linked to 1 managed bean.
> >
> > Is my approach alright? or something wrong?
> > --
> > Sent from the MyFaces - Users forum at Nabble.com.

--
Alexandre Poitras
Québec, Canada

Re: Spring, myfaces, hibernate

Posted by Adrian Merrall <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Murat Hazer <mu...@gmail.com>.
Take a look to the appFuse sample application.

On 3/30/06, 101questionjsf <in...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Currently I'm using only myfaces to do my application. Is it advisable to
> use
> Spring and Hibernate? Can I proceed without them?
>
> Currently, whenever connect to db to do something, I'm writing jdbc
> statements, not using hibernate.
>
> And never use Spring.
>
> Only 1 jsp page linked to 1 managed bean.
>
> Is my approach alright? or something wrong?
> Sent from the MyFaces - Users forum at Nabble.com.

--
Murat HAZER
Elektrik-Elektronik Mühendisi - Electrical-Electronics Engineer

RE: Spring, myfaces, hibernate

Posted by 101questionjsf <in...@yahoo.com>.
hi all, thanks for replying.

I can understand using hibernate will remove jdbc coding. But currently, I'm
using Myfaces, it already has all the linking between webpages in
xx-config.xml, web.xml, so is there any need for Spring? Or maybe i should
go n read up more on Spring :) but just want to get some quick answers here,
thanks

Another point is: previouslu, I have used Expresso, another Java framework
which is past its peak popoularity, in my application called Project X. So
now another framework Spring comes on.

If I never use any framework at all (except using myfaces), I just use
simple Java, then i don't have to keep changing to new popular framework?

--Remember last time, Struts is so popular, now is Spring.

Posted by Frank Felix Debatin <ff...@gmx.net>.

You're right. The next big framework will be Rocket, written by old school
coders like myself, which is based on the ReversionOfControl pattern. It
gets rid of all configuration XML files, and puts all power back into the
hands of the Java coder. An important subproject is concerned with
anti-wizardry.

JUST JOKING! Sorry, couldn't resist.

There will always be technical progress, and some sort of hype. It is always
hard to say what the expected life-time of a tool or technology ist. I think
that some have come to stay, like Java or OO. On the other hand, within web
development, there still seems to be room for improvement. But even if your
framework of choice gets outdated, you have learned a lot from the framework
developers on how to structure the domain's problems.

Frank Felix