Posted to user@struts.apache.org by stanlick <st...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/19 01:00:16 UTC

Jetty 6.x vs Tomcat 6.x

Guys --

I have a loaded (Hibernate, Spring, Tiles) S2.1.6 application running on TC
6 and I want to speed up the development cycle.  I have exhausted the trials
to get TC 6.x to dynamically reload modified class changes and have reached
the point where I have installed Jetty 6.x.  My application is "sort of"
running when deployed in that environment, however, there seems to be a
strange phenomenon concerning JSP page compiles containing S2 tags.  Is
there an issue concerning the two JSP compilers?

Peace,
Scott

Re: Jetty 6.x vs Tomcat 6.x

Posted by st...@gmail.com.
Yeah, as it turns out, this was the culprit.  Jetty 6.x had issues with the
conditionality where TC 6.x did not.

        <s:if test="%{        #blog.content != 'NoPost'         }">
        <ul>
            <li>
            <a >
                <s:action var="blog" name="blog-menu1"/>
                <s:property value="#blog.content" escape="false"/>
            </a>

        </s:if>
                <ul>
                <c:forEach var="i" begin="0" end="3">

                        <c:if test="${blogArray[i] != 'NoPost'}">
                            <li>
                                <c:set var="murl"
value="/child/displayTileFullWidth-m1i${i+1}"/>
                                    <c:out value="${blogArray[i]}"
escapeXml="false"/>
                                </a>
                            </li>
                        </c:if>
                </c:forEach>
                </ul>
            </li>
        </ul>

Peace,
Scott

Re: Jetty 6.x vs Tomcat 6.x

Posted by ChadDavis <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: Jetty 6.x vs Tomcat 6.x

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
In theory, an app should work on any app server, but from time to time
I've found out about incompatibilities the hard way. For instance,
Tomcat doesn't look to favorably on unclosed scriptlet tags... We
found out the hard way that Tomcat doesn't compile a page when your
page ends w/o the scriptlet tag being closed -

Doesn't work on tomcat (end of a page):

<% out.print("hello") ;

It works fine in resin though :)

Another thing I've found is that the size of an output buffer can have
an affect as well. For instance, if you are going to redirect based on
logic that executes further down the page (past the point where output
starts transmitting), you'll get an IllegalStateException. This is
right of course, but the redirect may work on some app servers if
there is a large output buffer. These were two issues I faced when
moving a large set of applications from resin to Tomcat. Both are,
IMO, bad programming, but w/o proper code review, the code was in
production. I can't vouch for the subtle differences between tomcat
and jetty, but I'm sure they exist.

-Wes

--
Wes Wannemacher
Author - Struts 2 In Practice

Re: Jetty 6.x vs Tomcat 6.x

Posted by st...@gmail.com.
Right on my bro!  I'll hop the source when I get back to that machine.
However, if the code deployed to TC 6.x works fine and the *same* code
deployed to Jetty 6.x does not, this seems whack.  The application runs on
Jetty (sort of) but things are whack.  If I had been taking advantage of
anything outside of the "spec" I might expect portability problems -- but I
avoid that like the plague.

Peace,
Scott

Re: Jetty 6.x vs Tomcat 6.x