Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Lee Carroll <le...@googlemail.com.INVALID> on 2023/04/13 11:52:44 UTC

Consumer has high network bandwidth when consuming no messages

Hi All,
I've a spring boot kafka consumer group, consuming a topic with 30
partitions with a concurrency of 2 (staging set up).

The network traffic in and out was very high  >200k per second even when
consuming no messages.

I've adjusted fetch.wait.max.ms to be significantly higher (15,000) than
the default which has had a significant impact but the network is still
seeing ~30k a second.

Is this to be expected?

Cheers Lee C

Re: Consumer has high network bandwidth when consuming no messages

Posted by Alexandre Dupriez <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Lee,

Would you be able to see which Kafka API is generating the traffic?
This is provided by the MBean
kafka.network:type=RequestMetrics,name=RequestsPerSec,request=*,version=([0-9]+)
[1].

Thanks,
Alexandre

[1] https://kafka.apache.org/documentation/#monitoring