Posted to user@openmeetings.apache.org by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com> on 2020/05/19 20:22:49 UTC

Users Testing Audio/Video before entering conference room

Hi all,

We can see a surge of users reporting: Audio is not working, camera not
working, can't hear or can't talk.

OpenMeetings has a really nice UI to test/record your Mic/Cam, record few
seconds, playback.

But most users don't use it. Cause when they are inside the room, its too
late. They already tried enabling their cam/mic without success. So they
just leave.

In comparable product this check is done *before* you enter the room.

How about we:
 - If the room type is conference or you are a moderator entering the room,
you first will be redirected to "test-screen" - before entering the room
 - the "test-screen" shows the current "Test Audio/Video settings" UI
 - this redirect to the "test-screen" can be disabled via Admin>Config so
current functionality stays as-is for people don't like it
 - users have a checkbox to say "do not ask me again" so they won't see
this, but they can edit those settings
 - this "test-screen" will also be shown if you user the invitationHash,
and the room is of type "conference"
 - there is an option in Admin>Rooms to enable/disable this "test-screen"
so that you can enable/disable it also for other room types. Conference
room is true by default, others are false by default.

What do you think about this?

I think such a "test-screen" or "pre-conference-room" as option has a lot
of potential. Also for other use-cases. So it would be a good option to
add.

This could be a feature for 5.0.1 or later. I could spend some time on this
in another branch.

Thanks,
Seb

Sebastian Wagner
Director Arrakeen Solutions
http://arrakeen-solutions.co.nz/
<https://www.youracclaim.com/badges/da4e8828-743d-4968-af6f-49033f10d60a/public_url>
<https://www.youracclaim.com/badges/b7e709c6-aa87-4b02-9faf-099038475e36/public_url>

Re: Users Testing Audio/Video before entering conference room

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 20 May 2020 at 10:42, seba.wagner@gmail.com <se...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Honestly nobody sees this gear icon anymore.
>
> Cause for a first time user (which this device check is good for) you have
> no idea what to click.
>
> And there is also no hint or anything that this tool will help you
> diagnose your device settings issues.

This dialog is useless if server is misconfigured :(((
If server is OK - audio/video will just work ....

So I'm not sure what can be done here :(

> Its first time user screen, so of course other will find it annoying.
>
> "pre-conference-room"? could you elaborate?
> => A splash screen before entering the room. Deliberately outside of the
> room, you can't hear/see other users/whiteboard or anything yet.

Something like "Take a tour" wizard, this might be useful
but seems to be lot's of "designer" work (screenshots on our site seems to
always outdated)
seems to be useless for connection issues detection

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: Users Testing Audio/Video before entering conference room

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: Users Testing Audio/Video before entering conference room

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
BTW

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: Users Testing Audio/Video before entering conference room

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
BTW

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: Users Testing Audio/Video before entering conference room

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Hello Sebastian,

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
Just historically: The report "I can't see, hear, talk, speak" I don't know
how many times, variations, flavours or circumstances of this email
report/complain I have answered before :)
I'm not intending to do it again :)

Cheers

On Thu, 21 May 2020 at 08:23, seba.wagner@gmail.com <se...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> <https://www.youracclaim.com/badges/b7e709c6-aa87-4b02-9faf-099038475e36/public_url>
>

> On Thu, 21 May 2020 at 03:58, Juan Antonio Moreno Carmona <
> jamc60@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Rohit.
>>
>> In a presentation room, users have to request permission to use their
>> camera and microphone, so the moderator receives a notification in the
>> 'Activities and actions' tab and the moderator may or may not grant such
>> permission. If the moderator does not grant permission then the user cannot
>> activate their camera and microphone. That's by design.
>>

>> El 20/5/20 a las 13:19, Rohit Dhamal escribió:
>>
>> Even I have same issues. I am not behind any server. I directly login to
>> mydomain:5443/openmeetings
>> I can talk and people can see me but they cannot activate their camera
>> and mic. This causes problems using the presentation room as a class room.
>> I have set everything as per the installation guide given on cwiki and I
>> use om5m4 snapshot live iso.
>>
>> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>> <https://go.onelink.me/107872968?pid=InProduct&c=Global_Internal_YGrowth_AndroidEmailSig__AndroidUsers&af_wl=ym&af_sub1=Internal&af_sub2=Global_YGrowth&af_sub3=EmailSignature>
>>
>> On Wed, 20 May 2020 at 1:53, seba.wagner@gmail.com
>> <se...@gmail.com> <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We can see a surge of users reporting: Audio is not working, camera not
>> working, can't hear or can't talk.
>>
>> OpenMeetings has a really nice UI to test/record your Mic/Cam, record few
>> seconds, playback.
>>
>> But most users don't use it. Cause when they are inside the room, its too
>> late. They already tried enabling their cam/mic without success. So they
>> just leave.
>>
>> In comparable product this check is done *before* you enter the room.
>>
>> How about we:
>>  - If the room type is conference or you are a moderator entering the
>> room, you first will be redirected to "test-screen" - before entering the
>> room
>>  - the "test-screen" shows the current "Test Audio/Video settings" UI
>>  - this redirect to the "test-screen" can be disabled via Admin>Config so
>> current functionality stays as-is for people don't like it
>>  - users have a checkbox to say "do not ask me again" so they won't see
>> this, but they can edit those settings
>>  - this "test-screen" will also be shown if you user the invitationHash,
>> and the room is of type "conference"
>>  - there is an option in Admin>Rooms to enable/disable this "test-screen"
>> so that you can enable/disable it also for other room types. Conference
>> room is true by default, others are false by default.
>>
>> What do you think about this?
>>
>> I think such a "test-screen" or "pre-conference-room" as option has a lot
>> of potential. Also for other use-cases. So it would be a good option to
>> add.
>>
>> This could be a feature for 5.0.1 or later. I could spend some time on

Request for help testing / benchmarking low-latency kernel for 5.0.0

Posted by in...@bureau-de-poste.net.
  Hello,

We are testing the linux low latency kernel (which is more forgiving
than the real-time kernel. It also permits a broader set of uses more
suitable for a normal vps or dedicated server which is not 100%
dedicated to KMS). We are testing this on a vps serving web paegs with
tomcat, as well as on a small dedicated serving web pages with apache
2.4 (without a TURN server and with UFW and iptables as firewall -
which seems to work fine for us).

The idea is that the low latency kernel will be more responsive. It is
often used in audio / video recording applications where latency can
be a real problem, so it should improve responsiveness on KMS. We
can't really benchmark this easily - so if anyone can, and wants to,
I'd like to have their results as to whether or not the low latency
kernel improves connectiveness and responsiveness as the end user see
them.

Here are instructions for switching to the low latency kernel, should
anyone wish to test it. As I said, we have moved to it, and it hasn't
created any problems, and appears to be as fast or faster. Please
don't try this on a production server (even though we did and it's
OK). We can't guarantee that this will work for you, but these are
standard working instructions for upgrading or changing kernels.

If you wish to try the low latency kernel:  (We assume you are using
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS)

* update your sources
# apt update

* show dependencies of upgrading linux-headers
# apt-cache show linux-lowlatency-hwe-18.04 | grep Depends

* install the low-latency headers
# apt install linux-headers-lowlatency-hwe-18.04

* choose yes to also install the other headers, low-latency headers
and low-latency hwe
# y

* now install the low latency image
# apt install linux-image-lowlatency-hwe-18.04

* choose yes to also install the low-latency modules and image
# y

* reboot  your system once your system load will safely allow it -
check using top or htop
# reboot

* after you reboot, check that everything is working properly, and iff
(if and only if) you wish to keep the low-latency kernel, clear out
old kernel etc

* (once you've fully tested the low latency system and have decided to
keep it)
# apt autoremove

If you test this, please let me know if you are able to do real
benchmarks on the before and after under load conditions.

Regards,

  Ed

Re: changes in csp config doesn't seem to change csp header

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
for reference https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENMEETINGS-2370

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: changes in csp config doesn't seem to change csp header

Posted by Peter Dähn <da...@vcrp.de>.
Hi Maxim,

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
`data:` is required for WB

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: changes in csp config doesn't seem to change csp header

Posted by Peter Dähn <da...@vcrp.de>.
Hi Maxim,

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
What was the value?

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: changes in csp config doesn't seem to change csp header

Posted by Peter Dähn <da...@vcrp.de>.
Hi Maxim,

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
yep

--
Best regards,
Maxim

changes in csp config doesn't seem to change csp header

Re: Default Cam

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
For reference: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENMEETINGS-2369

Thanks for the fix Konstantin :)

On Fri, 22 May 2020 at 09:01, Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You are right,
>
> I do remember I had some issues with this mediaConstraints, but ideal
> seems to work :)
> can you create JIRA and PR? (JIRA is required so this new feature will
> appear in CHANGELOG) :)
>
> On Fri, 22 May 2020 at 02:24, Konstantin Kuzov <ma...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Well, in my understanding "ideal" unlike "exact" is just a suggestion and
>> shouldn't by itself raise any errors if browser cannot satisfy a request.
>> So it shouldn't make any difference for devices with less than two cameras
>> where at least one camera has been marked as "front". I also suspect that
>> in most cases only internal cameras will have this user-placement mark if
>> OS even support that distinction at all.
>> We can guard it by mediaDevices.getSupportedConstraints() but browser
>> which doesn't support such constraint should just ignore it without raising
>> any errors according to standard.
>>
>> чт, 21 мая 2020 г. в 20:21, Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> The main questions will it work
>>> 1) at laptop
>>> 2) PC without camera

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: Default Cam

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
You are right,

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: Default Cam

Posted by Konstantin Kuzov <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Default Cam

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: Default Cam

Posted by Konstantin Kuzov <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Default Cam

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Well,

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: Default Cam

Posted by Konstantin Kuzov <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Default Cam

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Hello Peter,

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Default Cam

Posted by Peter Dähn <da...@vcrp.de>.
Hi together,

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 21 May 2020 at 15:01, <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That’s fine I can have a look at it.
>
> I didn’t quite understand what you meant with server checks.

Some CSP checks can be added
Some WebRTC checks maybe (check if there is microphone and try to connect
for ex.)

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: Users Testing Audio/Video before entering conference room

Posted by se...@gmail.com.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
"Take a tour" wizard