Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/01 17:32:51 UTC

Source File Headers - are they a MUST?

Its come up on the Struts Dev list a couple of times[1] that because
the ASF Source Header and Copyright Notice Policy[2] uses the word
"should" rather than "must" in the following sentence that its OK to
release something that has source files that are missing headers:

  "Each source file should include the following license header"

Is this the case? If source files must include them for a release can
the policy be clarified so that people don't read it as an optional
extra?

Niall

[1] http://tinyurl.com/3bqoxg
[2] http://apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

Re: Source File Headers - are they a MUST?

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
On 2/1/07, Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> On 2/1/07, Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> wrote:
> > * It's okay to not put the header in if the license header is large
> > compared to the size of the license header and the size of source file
> > is a detriment to the value of the product.
>
> That's the *only* exception I view as justified - i.e. if it's a one
> or two-line javascript file, the license header is understandably a
> bit much and would have a negative impact on the application as it
> must be transferred each time.
>
> But, IMHO, as a matter of policy, any compiled or server-side
> interpreted source code MUST have the current and correct license
> header.  I just don't view that as up for discussion.  Any PMC which
> releases code that doesn't have the license header should immediately
> pull it - or the Board should direct Infra to pull all their releases
> if they won't be bothered.  -- justin

Agreed.

I just realised while scanning struts-dev that Niall's context wasn't
one of thinking that small files shouldn't need a license and one of
thinking the current Struts release should be -1'd because it doesn't
have the correct headers.

Hen

Re: Source File Headers - are they a MUST?

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
It came up in a board meeting a couple back (I think Wicket brought it
up in their report) and I don't recall Cliff viewing it as a big deal.

I imagine our view should be:

* It's okay to not put the header in if the license header is large
compared to the size of the license header and the size of source file
is a detriment to the value of the product.

Should we have a 1 line stub-header, or is it best to just have no
header at all so the coverage is assumed to be described in the
surrounding package?

Hen

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.