Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Ing. Atilio Ranzuglia Buteler" <ar...@yahoo.com> on 2002/09/26 15:12:29 UTC

Problem with Tomcat and JServ

hi, everybody

i'm having a very strange problem. i've developed a servlet
that returns a pdf document.

it works perfectly with tomcat and any browser that (can)
supports pdf documents.

the problem is when i deploy it to an apache/jserv server,
there only works if the browser is
different from ie. but the document is correct. i try with
http explorer to see
what is really coming back and the document is fine.

the version of sdk is the same in tomcat and jserv (both
1.4.0), also with fop and the others libraries.

the only difference is on the headers, here they are:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK     XXXXX
Date: ...
Server: Apache/1.3.12 (Win32) ApacheJServ/1.1 mod_ssl/2.6.4
Cache-Control: no-cache
Expires: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
Pragma: no-cache

HTTP/1.0 200 OK     XXXXX
Date: ...
Servlet-Engine: Tomcat Web Server/3.1 (JSP 1.1; Servlet
2.2; Java 1.4.0_01;...)
Cache-Control: no-cache
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 02002 14:48:22 GMT
Pragma: no-cache

the differences are the ones with XXXXX. i think that maybe
the status line can be the problem.

if someone of you can help me, i would appreciate too much

thanks, atilio

Re: Problem with Tomcat and JServ

Posted by "Philippe de M. Sevestre" <ph...@ciblis.net>.
Hi,

I had a similar problem some time ago with IE. No matter what the headers
said, it would refuse to automatically open the Acrobat reader _unless_
the URL was also fished by ".pdf". In my case, the PDF was generated
by a FOP-based servlet and I made it invoked using a URL like that:

http://somesite.com/someapp/createPdf?dummyArg=dummy.pdf

If you need other parameters, just make sure the 'dummyArg' is the
last one.

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>