Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/04 11:14:15 UTC

Does HCatalog subsume Metastore?

Hi everybody,

I want to add support for reading Hive-managed data to Apache Flink and
have a question regarding the overlap of HCatalog and Hive metastore.

Is it sufficient to add support for HCatalog or do we also need to add an
InputFormat for "regular" Hive metastore tables? So basically, does the
HCatalogInputFormat only provide access to tables which were created and
managed through HCatalog or can it also read "regular" Hive tables in
setups that do not use HCatalog?

Thanks and best regards, Fabian

Re: Does HCatalog subsume Metastore?

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.
Very good, that makes it pretty easy to read Hive tables with Flink.

Thanks Alan!

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.