Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Phillip Michalak <ph...@digitalreasoning.com> on 2010/01/25 14:43:47 UTC

map/reduce on Cassandra

Multiple people have expressed an interest in 'hadoop integration' and
'map/reduce functionality' within Cassandra. I'd like to get a feel
for what that means to different people.

As a starting point for discussion, Jeff Hodges undertook a prototype
effort last summer which was the subject of this thread: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-cassandra-dev/200907.mbox/%3Cf5f3a6290907240123y22f065edp1649f7c5c1add491@mail.gmail.com%3E
.

Jeff explicitly mentions data locality as one of the things that was
out of scope for the prototype. What other features or characteristics
would you expect to see in an implementation?

Thanks,
Phil

Re: map/reduce on Cassandra

Posted by Vijay <vi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Regards,
</VJ>

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Jeff Hodges <jh...@twitter.com> wrote:

> 1) Works with RandomPartitioner. This is huge and the only way almost
> everyone would able to use it.

2) Ability to divide up the keys of a single node to more than one
> mapper. The prototype just slurped up everything on the node. This
> would probably be easiest to not allow as a configurable thing and
> just let it be part of the InputSplit calculation.

3) Progress information should be calculated and displayed.

Re: map/reduce on Cassandra

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
sstablekeys is really the wrong place to support m/r anyway, it just
shows that the index can handle what m/r will need

Re: map/reduce on Cassandra

Posted by Ryan Daum <ry...@thimbleware.com>.

Re: map/reduce on Cassandra

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 1:13 PM, Ryan Daum <ry...@thimbleware.com> wrote:

> I agree with what Jeff says here about RandomPartitioner support being key.

+1

Re: map/reduce on Cassandra

Posted by Ryan Daum <ry...@thimbleware.com>.

Re: map/reduce on Cassandra