Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Onno <on...@mijnstijljouwstijl.nl> on 2006/09/09 05:04:25 UTC

First experiences: svn: This client is too old

Hi group,

I'm just checking out Subversion for the first time. I bought the book and
I'm working through it now, this looks really cool.

But.

The book sort of sets a person to installing Subversion and then
TurtoiseSVN. Following this path will end the fun very quickly. Turtoise
operations from the shell will be fine but with the more advanced stuff like
moving, deleting files you will get stuck with the message that the client
is too old.

U:\svn\doc>svn move CHANGELOG.txt CHANGELOG

svn: This client is too old to work with working copy '.'; please get a
newer Subversion client

So it seems that there is a rather stringent relationship between the svn
client and the server.

This doesn't need to be a problem as long there is some information on which
versions of TurtoiseSVN and Subversion work together. I think this
information is not there, at least I couldn't find it.

Personally I think that this can be avoided.

Cheers,

Onno

Re: First experiences: svn: This client is too old

Posted by Kevin Greiner <gr...@gmail.com>.
On 9/9/06, Onno <on...@mijnstijljouwstijl.nl> wrote:

> The book sort of sets a person to installing Subversion and then
> TurtoiseSVN. Following this path will end the fun very quickly. Turtoise
> operations from the shell will be fine but with the more advanced stuff like
> moving, deleting files you will get stuck with the message that the client
> is too old.

It sounds like you're using mismatched versions of TortoiseSVN and the
Subversion command-line client. Perhaps TortoiseSVN 1.4 RC1 and svn client
1.3.x. This won't work because the working copy format changed between 1.3and
1.4. Either 1.3 or 1.4 will work although I'd recommend the
just-today-released 1.4.

Re: First experiences: svn: This client is too old

Posted by Henk Wissink <He...@Boschman.NL>.
Hello Onno,

Subversion downloads for Windows:
http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=91

TortoiseSVN downloads:
http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads

Here you see an important note about the relationship between Subversion and TortoiseSVN releases 1.4.x. And in the
download area for release 1.3.5 you see that in the names of the TortoiseSVN downloads, the Subversion release is
mentioned. So for future downloads, keep the relationship in mind.

Success with Subversion.

Best regards,
Henk Wissink
-----End------of------this------message-----

Re: Stuck... running Subversion with Apache 2

Posted by Johnathan Gifford <jg...@wernervas.com>.
If I remember right (and I'm sure someone will correct me) but there is
a problem with mod_svn_dav in Subversion 1.3.x when compiled and ran
against Apache of versions less than 2.0.54. I think APR and it's
version was the problem.  Try a newer version of Apache, Subversion and
mod_svn_dav module should be happier.

Johnathan

<00...@ushalaptop>, "Onno"
<on...@mijnstijljouwstijl.nl> wrote:
> Hi group,
> Today for the first time I tried using Subversion (1.3.2) with XAMPP
1.4.5
> which contains Apache 2.0.50.
>
> In the Subversion book I read that Subversion is supporting Apache
2.0 but
> when I configure my specific Apache instance (2.0.50) for Subversion
on
> start the following error is shown in the console:
>
> Syntax error on line 179 of E:/xampp/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
> Cannot load E:/xampp/apache/modules/mod_dav_svn.so into server: The
> specified procedure could not be found.
>
> Google makes clear that this kind of error is not uncommon at all. I
tried
> some of the recipes (moving bin stuff, setting path to bin) etc but
that
> doesn't make a difference.
>
> Some other experts mention the option of recompiling Apache,
Subversion. I
> didn't try that, I was wondering if there is an easier approach.
Recompiling
> Apache and Subversion distributions is just not my cup of tea.
>
> Do you know of a specific Apache 2.0 (maybe better XAMPP)
distribution on

Posted by Andy Peters <de...@latke.net>.
On Sep 13, 2006, at 11:24 AM, Andy Levy wrote:

> The Release Notes also indicate this:
> "Subversion 1.4 uses a new format for the working copy. The update is
> done automatically, you won't even notice it. But once the working
> copy has been updated, you won't be able to access it with clients
> linked to older versions of the Subversion library."

So, when does this conversion take place?  As soon as you do an svn
status on the working copy?  Or when you do something that changes
the WC, like an svn add?  Or only after an svn update or svn commit?

-a

Re: First experiences: svn: This client is too old

Posted by Mark Clements <gm...@kennel17.co.uk>.
"Jeremy Pereira" <je...@jeremyp.net> wrote in message
> Slightly off topic:
>
> On 13 Sep 2006, at 19:24, Andy Levy wrote:
>

> > "Using TortoiseSVN 1.4.0-rc1 on any working copy created by previous
> > versions of Subversion/TSVN will TRANSPARENTLY upgrade your working
> > copy, which means that production-ready versions of Subversion/TSVN
> > (1.3.x and earlier) will no longer be able to read it!
>
> Being pedantic, the correct word is "SILENTLY".  "TRANSPARENTLY"
> implies you don't need to worry about it, but in fact what happens is
> completely the opposite of transparent.
>
> > Please be...

Is there are reason that it does not give a suitable warning that it is
about to do something that could turn out to be a very Bad Thing?  A simple
confirmation prompt would, or a separate 'update-wc' command would surely
save everyone a lot of headaches...

- Mark Clements (HappyDog)

Re: First experiences: svn: This client is too old

Posted by Jeremy Pereira <je...@jeremyp.net>.
Slightly off topic:

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
The TSVN download page explains, very clearly, the ramifications of
running the 1.4 release candidate:

"Using TortoiseSVN 1.4.0-rc1 on any working copy created by previous
versions of Subversion/TSVN will TRANSPARENTLY upgrade your working
copy, which means that production-ready versions of Subversion/TSVN
(1.3.x and earlier) will no longer be able to read it! Please be
careful, if you use other Subversion clients (eg. the 1.3.x command
line client), not to use the TortoiseSVN 1.4.x release candidate on a
production working copy."

The Release Notes also indicate this:
"Subversion 1.4 uses a new format for the working copy. The update is
done automatically, you won't even notice it. But once the working
copy has been updated, you won't be able to access it with clients
linked to older versions of the Subversion library."

The download page also indicates that the "current" version is 1.3.5.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Posted by Erik Hemdal <er...@comprehensivepower.com>.
[...]

Which versions of TortoiseSVN and Subversion are you using?  I followed your
same path when I started with SVN and everything went swimmingly for me.
Perhaps if you have started with the new 1.4.0 release, there is an issue
until Tortoise catches up?

Erik