Posted to dev@isis.apache.org by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk> on 2013/10/11 12:59:38 UTC

[DISCUSSION] should Isis drop JDK 1.6 support?

Several reasons:

1. Martin Grigorov (Wicket committer) and Michael Haitz (similar Wicket
expert) are working on ISIS-537 [1] to restyle Wicket using Bootstrap3.
 One of their key dependencies is currently only available under JDK 1.7.

2. Wicket 7.0 will mandate JDK 1.7, and, obviously Isis' Wicket viewer
should keep up with the latest version of Wicket.

3. its 2013 already.

Any votes +1 or -1?

Thx
Dan

[1] https://github.com/l0rdn1kk0n/isis/commits/ISIS-537

Re: [DISCUSSION] should Isis drop JDK 1.6 support?

Posted by Kevin Meyer - KMZ <ke...@kmz.co.za>.
+1

Posted by Ezequiel Celiz <el...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by GESCONSULTOR - Óscar Bou <o....@gesconsultor.com>.

Posted by David Tildesley <da...@yahoo.co.nz>.
Actually, Weblogic 10.3.6  can be run under 1.7 with caveats according to Oracle. So +1 :)

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

Re: [DISCUSSION] should Isis drop JDK 1.6 support?

Posted by David Tildesley <da...@yahoo.co.nz>.
Could be a problem for enterprise apps. Organisations are slow to move. e.g. we would be forced to move from weblogic 11g to weblogic 12g and then have to enter the brain dead "N-1" debate.

________________________________

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.

Posted by GESCONSULTOR - Óscar Bou <o....@gesconsultor.com>.

Posted by Mike Burton <mi...@mycosystems.co.uk>.
+1

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Jeroen van der Wal <je...@stromboli.it>.
+1

Oracle stopped updating Java 6 in February [1] and Java 8 is around the
corner so yes, let's do it.

[1] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

Posted by Michael Haitz <ha...@web.de>.
+1

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
I've done some further (rather lengthy) investigation into this, documented
in ISIS-568 [1].

The long-and-short of it is that moving to JDK 7 also requires upgrading to
ASM 4.x and cglib 3.x... this impacts our
a) wrapper factory
b) isis-core-bytecode-cglib module (n/a if using JDO)
c) our unit tests that use JMock and the jmock-legacy module for mocking
concrete classes.

The first two could be tackled, I think, but the last is quite a big
dependency.  It might be the least work to help the JMock guys move their
library up to cglib 3.x

Suggest we use [1] to track further discussion on this matter.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ISIS-568

Posted by GESCONSULTOR - Óscar Bou <o....@gesconsultor.com>.
+1

Posted by Michael Xiao <mi...@gmail.com>.