Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Alok Kumar <al...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/20 09:48:02 UTC

Is HBase.Client.Result.getValue(...) and Result.getColumn(...) fetch actual value from TABLE everytime

Hi All,

I like to know if

HBase.Client.Result.getValue(...) and
 Result.getColumn(...) fetch actual value from TABLE everytime

or  is  it available in Result/ResultScanner already?

--
Alok

Re: Is HBase.Client.Result.getValue(...) and Result.getColumn(...) fetch actual value from TABLE everytime

Posted by Alok Kumar <al...@gmail.com>.
I could not get any other way/test to quickly know about it.. :)

--
Alok Kumar

Re: Is HBase.Client.Result.getValue(...) and Result.getColumn(...) fetch actual value from TABLE everytime

Posted by Doug Meil <do...@explorysmedical.com>.
I think I understand what you're asking now.  For background see "scan
attribute selection" in here...

http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#perf.reading

The attributes that are specified in a Scan or Get are transferred to the
client regardless if they are actually used by the client.

On a related note, see the "scan caching" entry in the same chapter (the
equivalent is the fetch-size in JDBC).

Posted by Alok Kumar <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lars,

--
Alok Kumar

Re: Is HBase.Client.Result.getValue(...) and Result.getColumn(...) fetch actual value from TABLE everytime