Posted to dev@abdera.apache.org by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> on 2006/09/25 01:27:49 UTC

Re: svn commit: r449509 - in /incubator/abdera/java/trunk: client/pom.xml core/pom.xml dependencies/json/pom.xml examples/pom.xml extensions/pom.xml parser/pom.xml pom.xml protocol/pom.xml security/pom.xml server/pom.xml

On 9/24/06, jrduncans@apache.org <jr...@apache.org> wrote:
> Author: jrduncans
> Date: Sun Sep 24 15:10:13 2006
> New Revision: 449509

> Log:
> Added POM metadata.
>
> * pom.xml - Corrected url, added organization, issueManagement, mailingLists, licenses, and scm
> * Each modules pom.xml - Set the url and scm information (otherwise the artifactId is incorrectly added on)

Are these svn URLs going to need to be updated every time we tag?
Otherwise they'll be very wrong most of the time.  What are they used
for anyway?

-garrett

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 9/24/06, Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/24/06, Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
> > On 9/24/06, Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I don't see any harm in them at least staying correct for the trunk;
> > > no maintenance to keep that true.
> >
> > Except that they're incorrect on every non-trunk branch or tag unless
> > we update them every time we branch/tag.  That seems bad to me.
> >
> > -garrett
>
> Being incorrect seems no worse than not being there.  And being
> correct on trunk has some benefits.  Even though we do not use the
> Maven site as the Abdera website, creating the Maven site locally to
> use for seeing code reports, including, potentially, the changelog
> report that reports on file-activity, dev-activity, and a general
> changelog, is still useful.

Honestly, being wrong really does seem worse than not having it in my
opinion, but maybe that's just me.

> Ideally we'd only be changing it in one place: the parent pom.
> However, that apparently would require the modules folder-names to
> match their artifactId, i.e. java/trunk/core -> java/trunk/abdera-core

Maven doesn't allow any way to override that sort of behavior?

-garrett

Posted by Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com>.

--
Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Posted by Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com>.
I don't see any harm in them at least staying correct for the trunk;
no maintenance to keep that true.

- Stephen

--
Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Posted by Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com>.
I honestly don't know what people generally do when they branch or
tag.  I'll look around.  I imagine that yes, they should be updated
for each tag or branch.

They are used: to display in the maven generated site for instructions
on checking out, for maven changelog reports, for interacting with svn
via mvn (not sure why you'd want to), and for the maven release plugin
(helps automate tagging, version number updating, etc. for a release -
I haven't used it yet)

-Stephen

--
Stephen Duncan Jr