Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by nicksnels <ni...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/21 15:08:52 UTC

Amazon like search function

Hi,

I'm looking for ideas on how to implement an Amazon.com like search
function. If for example you do a search on - optimization algorithm java.
Amazon first returns results that contain all of these keywords, then
followed by a list that contains both the words "optimization algorithm",
then a list with books that contain the words "algorithm java" and finally a
list with books that contain both the words "optimization java".

At the moment I'm using the solrQueryParser defaultOperator="OR" option, but
this returns to many results. I have tried to switch to the "AND" option but
that option returns to few results. So I would like to present the results
like Amazon does, so the user has some more options to choose from.

Kind regards,

Nick

Re: Amazon like search function

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Nick,

You can also have a look at
http://sematext.com/products/dym-researcher/index.html , which will help.
That particular piece doesn't do *exactly* what you are describing, but it also
includes a component that does pretty much what you are after (even though it is
not described at the above URL) - we call it query relaxing.

Otis
----

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Take a look at DisMax, particularly the mm parameter
(minimum should match). It's kinda confusing, but I
it might help...

See: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DisMaxQParserPlugin

I believe 3.x as well as trunk also have "Extended Dismax"
or eDismax that provides some additional capabilities.

Best
Erick