Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Stanimir Stamenkov <st...@myrealbox.com> on 2006/05/24 14:37:22 UTC

[OT] Re: Validation of XML Schema (XSD) element groups

/Andrew Paterson/:

> Note: I came to XML from EDI where mandatory composites with all
> elements optional are fairly common and have the obvious meaning.
>
> I must say that I am glad that there are only two elements in the group
> - if there were a lot of elements, it would require a long and
> complicated "choice" structure to represent it!

I guess the thing is EDIFACT format is different than XML in means
one can't have next sibling element (subsegment or field) without
having a previous sibling, like in CSV document one can't define 3rd
column without explicitly having a second one:

value1,,value3

May be the XML Schema could be extended to define such model, but
don't expect that to happen soon.

--
Stanimir