Posted to dev@apex.apache.org by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org> on 2017/09/02 00:49:24 UTC

[DISCUSS] Major version change for Apex Library (Malhar)

The first step in allowing a real community to grow would be to wear the
project hat, participate in discussions as individual, and consider how to
enable changes vs. trying to block active community members that contribute
on their own time from taking the project forward.

Versioning and parallel release lines exist for a reason. Nothing needs to
be reinvented, everything that is needed to not disrupt existing users
while allowing for changes that evolve a product already exists.

A number of folks don't wear the project hat, don't contribute in a
constructive manner and are otherwise not actively visible in the project.
Do they participate in this discussion out of their own interest or because
they are paid to do so? That combined with a look at the contributor stats
should provide a fairly good orientation.

This discussion here is about making changes and evolve the project, not to
organize a DataTorrent & friends blockade. Put your own effort, research,
follow a discussion thread, present your own opinion. Separately, it will
be necessary to take up the topic of project independence at the PMC level.

Thomas

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 3:14 PM, Sandeep Deshmukh <sandeep.deshmukh@gmail.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Major version change for Apex Library (Malhar)

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 6:27 PM, Amol Kekre <am...@datatorrent.com> wrote:

> This vote was not done per process. The discussion was still on going. A
> decision that is more of code impact (consensus) is being called a
> procedural decision (majority vote). Moreover end of vote day/time was also
> not called ahead of the vote to determine when the vote ends. These seem to
> be a premise that only a few care about project. All red flags.

Facts for the benefit of others:

- Vote was originally opened for at least 72 hours (which to my knowledge
is standard)
- Vote was actually open for 10 days.
- It was opened after related discussions that go 6+ months back.
- Almost all folks that participated in those discussions also voted
- It was closed after there was no more discussion for 4 days.

Thomas

Re: [DISCUSS] Major version change for Apex Library (Malhar)

Posted by Vlad Rozov <vr...@apache.org>.
I have not seen any active discussion on the topic since Monday and I
don't see how a full consensus in the subject can be reached as no any
other solution is proposed other than to wait with no clear time-frame
when package names may be unified and follow Apache recommendation.

Thank you,

Vlad

Posted by Amol Kekre <am...@datatorrent.com>.