Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Shakun Nag <sh...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/28 09:41:22 UTC

Tomcat 5.5.9 compatibility with Java 1.7

Hi,

I am working on a web application which has been build on JDK/JRE 1.6.0_06
and has been deployed on Tomcat 5.5.9 server. This application is on
production since 2008. There is a plan to upgrade JDK/JVM to 1.7.0_07. My
concern is that after the upgrade of JDK and JVM, will the application be
deploying and running successfully on the aforesaid version of Tomcat i.e.
5.5.9 with out any issues? There is no information available either on
java<http://www.javaranch.com/> or
on Apace Tomcat site regrading the compatibility of java 1.7 with tomcat
5.5.9. The only information I was able to collect is that Tomcat 5.5.9
requires minimum 1.4 version. There are no resources available for the
maximum compatible version.

Please let me know if somebody has done such upgrade of their application
or is aware of any known compatibility issue. I am afraid that we will need
to upgrade tomcat as well along with upgrading to java 1.7. Do let me know
if any more information is required.

PS: This is an urgent request to evaluate the feasibility. So we don't have
much time, budget and resources to carry out a POC.

Thanks,
Shakun

Re: Tomcat 5.5.9 compatibility with Java 1.7

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2012/12/28 Casper Wandahl Schmidt <ka...@gmail.com>:
> Den 28-12-2012 09:41, Shakun Nag skrev:
>
>> I am working on a web application which has been build on JDK/JRE 1.6.0_06
>> and has been deployed on Tomcat 5.5.9 server. This application is on
>> production since 2008. There is a plan to upgrade JDK/JVM to 1.7.0_07. My
>> concern is that after the upgrade of JDK and JVM, will the application be
>> deploying and running successfully on the aforesaid version of Tomcat i.e.
>> 5.5.9 with out any issues? There is no information available either on
>> java<http://www.javaranch.com/> or
>> on Apace Tomcat site regrading the compatibility of java 1.7 with tomcat
>> 5.5.9. The only information I was able to collect is that Tomcat 5.5.9
>> requires minimum 1.4 version. There are no resources available for the
>> maximum compatible version.
>>
>> Please let me know if somebody has done such upgrade of their application
>> or is aware of any known compatibility issue. I am afraid that we will
>> need
>> to upgrade tomcat as well along with upgrading to java 1.7. Do let me know
>> if any more information is required.
>>
>> PS: This is an urgent request to evaluate the feasibility. So we don't
>> have
>> much time, budget and resources to carry out a POC.
>>
> I don't know about the Tomcat 5.5.9 on JVM 1.7 but why not upgrade Tomcat as
> well? I couldn't find 5.5.9 in the archives, but 5.5.12 is from 2005-09-23
> and 5.0.30 is from 2004-11-24 so I guess 5.5.9 is from somewhere in 2005
> which is almost 8 years ago! O' boy that is out of date and has some serious
> security flaws.

+1

Tomcat 5.5 is no more supported, and will be removed from the site in
a few days,
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-55-eol.html

Known security issues:
http://tomcat.apache.org/security.html

Migration guide:
http://tomcat.apache.org/migration.html

Regarding someone running 5.5.9 with Java 7,
1. I think hardly anybody has such experience.

2. There certainly were several fixes in TC7 & TC6 to make it run with
Java 7. The most important being

None of such fixes were backported to 5.5. Whether they are relevant
for you, I do not know.

If you are going to upgrade Tomcat, I'd recommend Tomcat 7. It is
tested better, I think there are more people running it with Java 7
than Tomcat 6, it has faster release cycle if anything needs fixing.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Tomcat 5.5.9 compatibility with Java 1.7

Posted by Casper Wandahl Schmidt <ka...@gmail.com>.
Den 28-12-2012 09:41, Shakun Nag skrev:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on a web application which has been build on JDK/JRE 1.6.0_06
> and has been deployed on Tomcat 5.5.9 server. This application is on
> production since 2008. There is a plan to upgrade JDK/JVM to 1.7.0_07. My
> concern is that after the upgrade of JDK and JVM, will the application be
> deploying and running successfully on the aforesaid version of Tomcat i.e.
> 5.5.9 with out any issues? There is no information available either on
> java<http://www.javaranch.com/> or
> on Apace Tomcat site regrading the compatibility of java 1.7 with tomcat
> 5.5.9. The only information I was able to collect is that Tomcat 5.5.9
> requires minimum 1.4 version. There are no resources available for the
> maximum compatible version.
>
> Please let me know if somebody has done such upgrade of their application
> or is aware of any known compatibility issue. I am afraid that we will need
> to upgrade tomcat as well along with upgrading to java 1.7. Do let me know
> if any more information is required.
>
> PS: This is an urgent request to evaluate the feasibility. So we don't have
> much time, budget and resources to carry out a POC.
>
> Thanks,
> Shakun

I don't know about the Tomcat 5.5.9 on JVM 1.7 but why not upgrade
Tomcat as well? I couldn't find 5.5.9 in the archives, but 5.5.12 is
from 2005-09-23 and 5.0.30 is from 2004-11-24 so I guess 5.5.9 is from
somewhere in 2005 which is almost 8 years ago! O' boy that is out of
date and has some serious security flaws.

Med venlig hilsen/Kind regards
Casper W. Schmidt