Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org> on 2015/03/31 17:58:57 UTC

[Fortress]ACNA and Benchmarks

Hi, ACNA is fast approaching and I plan on publishing the following benchmarks there:

1. openldap accelerator checkAccess and createSession
2. openldap fortress checkAccess and createSession
3. apache directory fortress checkAccess and createSession

The means for testing is easy, as jmeter test classes for above cases are part of the fortress core source currently.  As you would expect, the tests can be setup by number of threads, number of iterations, number of test servers, etc.

For #3 I would like to make sure that I have configured the apaches server to perform optimally.  Are there best practices / tips that I need to be aware of while setting up my test environment?  What recommendations can you provide that will allow me to show the best performance for apache directory?  These test cases will measure binds and searches of existing elements.

Thanks

Shawn
smckinney@apache.org

Re: [Fortress]ACNA and Benchmarks

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 01/04/15 01:57, Kiran Ayyagari a écrit :
> Hi Shawn,
>
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 11:58 PM, Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi, ACNA is fast approaching and I plan on publishing the following
>> benchmarks there:
>>
>> 1. openldap accelerator checkAccess and createSession
>> 2. openldap fortress checkAccess and createSession
>> 3. apache directory fortress checkAccess and createSession
>>
>> The means for testing is easy, as jmeter test classes for above cases are
>> part of the fortress core source currently.  As you would expect, the tests
>> can be setup by number of threads, number of iterations, number of test
>> servers, etc.
>>
>> For #3 I would like to make sure that I have configured the apaches server
>> to perform optimally.  Are there best practices / tips that I need to be
>> aware of while setting up my test environment?  What recommendations can
>> you provide that will allow me to show the best performance for apache
>> directory?  These test cases will measure binds and searches of existing
>> elements.
>>
>>  I suggest you use Mavibot partition instead of the default partition and
> the rest of configuration
>  can be left with defaults (unless a new index is needed)
>
> I am happy to lend a hand if needed.

That would be cool !
 (And faster...)

Re: [Fortress]ACNA and Benchmarks

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 11:21 PM, Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>
wrote:

> > On Apr 1, 2015, at 9:40 AM, Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > here http://apaste.info/4Mt is the LDIF for configuring a mavibot
> partition, execute this using Studio
> > and restart the server, then you need to create the context entry
> dc=apache,dc=org
>
> Thanks, assuming I need to upgrade my apacheds - which version do you
> recommend?

2.0.0-M19 is good to use

Shawn

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com

Re: [Fortress]ACNA and Benchmarks

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.

> On Apr 8, 2015, at 11:26 PM, Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 10:22 PM, Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 7, 2015, at 4:21 AM, Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > thanks for making it easier, I now able to run the test* and the test always gets blocked after
> >
> > [info] FT SETUP CreateSession, User: loadtestuser25, key: 25, TID: 37
> > [info] ThreadId:37, createSession user: loadtestuser25
> >
> > I didn't see anything interesting in ApacheDS's thread dump(which I expected to find), but saw
> > below in fortress test processes test http://apaste.info/JQU .
> >
> > I will debug further and see.
>
> Guessing there is something amiss in the connection info for the ldap server.  Can you send the fortress.properties, under the /config folder?
>
> sorry for the delay, here it is http://paste.ubuntu.com/10779406/

assuming this is all correct for you env, I can see nothing wrong:

***
# Host name and port of LDAP DIT:
host=localhost
port=10389

# These credentials are used for read/write access to all nodes under suffix:
admin.user=uid=admin,ou=system
# LDAP admin root pass is encrypted using 'encrypt' target in build.xml:
admin.pw=secret
config.root=ou=Config,dc=apache,dc=org
***

Let’s try a simpler test, using the fortress console app:

mvn test -Pconsole

Choose option 2 (review) followed by option 0 (search users).  Hit enter when it asks for search criteria, should pull back all users.

Shawn

Re: [Fortress]ACNA and Benchmarks

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com

Re: [Fortress]ACNA and Benchmarks

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 11:32 PM, Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>
wrote:

> > On Apr 6, 2015, at 9:16 AM, Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org> wrote:
> >

> >> On Apr 6, 2015, at 7:32 AM, Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> ran this command - mvn -Ploadtest-fortress jmeter:jmeter
> >>
> >> and got this http://apaste.info/YTu  output, any idea on what am I
> doing wrong
> >>
> >> here is the content of the file ftCheckAccess.jmx.log
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/10749648/
> >
> > Error is:
> >
> > 2015/04/06 20:21:59 ERROR - jmeter.protocol.java.sampler.JavaSampler:
> StandardJMeterEngine@164c98f4-Fortress CheckAccess      Exception
> initialising: org.apache.directory.fortress.core.jmeter.CheckAccess
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org.apache.directory.fortress.core.jmeter.CheckAccess
> >
> > The reason is the jmeter test plan relies that the old ant ‘dist’ target
> has been run prior to tests.  This populates the /lib and /dist folders
> with the necessary dependencies.  I will work on removing the reliance on
> ant, in the meantime you can work around by running this command:

thanks for making it easier, I now able to run the test* and the test
always gets blocked after

[info] FT SETUP CreateSession, User: loadtestuser25, key: 25, TID: 37
[info] ThreadId:37, createSession user: loadtestuser25

I didn't see anything interesting in ApacheDS's thread dump(which I
expected to find), but saw
below in fortress test processes test http://apaste.info/JQU .

I will debug further and see.

thanks Shawn.

* couldn't get the users load using the command (changed the suffix in
build.properties)
     mvn install -Dload.file=./ldap/setup/LoadTestUsers.xml
   so instead I sorted the LDIF you gave earlier and injected into the
server.
   The sorted LDIF is here http://apaste.info/HhO

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com

Re: [Fortress]ACNA and Benchmarks

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
> On Apr 6, 2015, at 9:16 AM, Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 6, 2015, at 7:32 AM, Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> ran this command - mvn -Ploadtest-fortress jmeter:jmeter
>>
>> and got this http://apaste.info/YTu  output, any idea on what am I doing wrong
>>
>> here is the content of the file ftCheckAccess.jmx.log http://paste.ubuntu.com/10749648/
>
> Error is:
>
> 2015/04/06 20:21:59 ERROR - jmeter.protocol.java.sampler.JavaSampler: StandardJMeterEngine@164c98f4-Fortress CheckAccess	Exception initialising: org.apache.directory.fortress.core.jmeter.CheckAccess java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.directory.fortress.core.jmeter.CheckAccess
>
> The reason is the jmeter test plan relies that the old ant ‘dist’ target has been run prior to tests.  This populates the /lib and /dist folders with the necessary dependencies.  I will work on removing the reliance on ant, in the meantime you can work around by running this command:
>
> ant dist
>
> from the command line.  ant and java home will need to be set of course.

Also make sure that you have pointed the runtime toward the mavibot partition.  In you build.properties add (change) the following.

# These are used to construct suffix for DIT, i.e. dc=example,dc=com.
suffix.name=apache
suffix.dc=org

You will need to make sure that you run either ‘mvn install’ or ‘ant init-fortress-config’ prior to restarting the tests.  This will populate fortress.properties with the correct params (from build.properties) to find the target entries.

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com

Re: [Fortress]ACNA and Benchmarks

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 1:59 AM, Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org> wrote:

> > On Apr 4, 2015, at 12:15 PM, Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > which test is this? I will run it and see if tweaking cache config
> improves it.
>
> one of the jmeter test cases:
>
> section 13 of the fortress core readme (excerpt pasted below) has some
> info about.  The specific test case is:
>
> loadtest-fortress
>
> which iterates over a set of users doing checkAccess.  You will also need
> the fortress schema and DIT setup (of course).  Which can be done by
> following the ’10 minute guide’.  Or, I could probably just send you an
> .ldif for you to use.
>
> The load test users (, roles and perms) are added to test directory using
> this script (as described below):
>
> LoadTestUsers.xml
>
> via the fortress admin loader util, or could perhaps be more easily loaded
> by you with ldif.  Let me know if that is the way you want to go and I will
> provide.
>
> thanks for the LDIF, but I used the below mentioned goal to load test
data

?

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com

Re: [Fortress]ACNA and Benchmarks

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
> On Apr 4, 2015, at 12:59 PM, Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Or, I could probably just send you an .ldif for you to use.

ldif extract of my apache.org mavibot partition can be found here:

http://apaste.info/dgN

Cheers

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 12:22 AM, Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>
wrote:

> > On Apr 3, 2015, at 10:12 AM, Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >
> >  I have posted in the users list the instructions so far.  We can use
> that to track my progress, speaking of I am stalled, but I plan on starting
> up again soon.
>
> Hi, just wanted to report the status of this activity.
>
> As posted in the user’s group I was successful getting apacheds and
> mavibot running together (thanks Kiran!).
>
> The good news is (as I reported on the other list) the time to do inserts
> has speed up about 2X (on limited testing).  The ok news is the performance
> of checkAccess (one search operation using dn) hasn’t much changed from the
> default config of apacheds.  I am seeing throughput on the order of
> 9K/second either way.  So maybe I have something not quite right, e.g.
> index for dn?
>
> which test is this? I will run it and see if tweaking cache config
improves it.

> The bad news (probably not unexpected) is the fortress core regression
> tests freeze during an update.  My plan is to start a new activity to get
> those tests to pass with mavibot, finding/fixing bugs as we go.  I believe
> the fortress core test suite will put mavibot through its paces and once we
> get all the tests passing, mavibot will be ready for GA.

Shawn

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com

Re: [Fortress]ACNA and Benchmarks

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
> On Apr 1, 2015, at 10:23 PM, Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> yeah, ideally this should go into a doc, (but Emmanuel knows how determined I am when it comes to writing docs ;)
> np, I don't think I have posted any details earlier on the user list, except for few LDIF configs on IRC

OK cool.  I have posted in the users list the instructions so far.  We can use that to track my progress, speaking of I am stalled, but I plan on starting up again soon.

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com

Re: [Fortress]ACNA and Benchmarks

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com

Re: [Fortress]ACNA and Benchmarks

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
Hi Shawn,

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com

Re: [Fortress]ACNA and Benchmarks

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
> On Mar 31, 2015, at 7:23 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  depends on the number of entries you will have in the server. What is
> important is to have the required indexes, with the correct cache size.
>
> One thing that is critical : JMeter is quite demanding, so *never* run
> it on the same machine than the server.

Number of entries is low.  Eventually, I will make these test cases more realistic (i.e. greater number of accounts) but not before ACNA.  Jmeter process runs on separate machine as ldap server so we’re good there.

Have yet to set the indexes/cache so must do that next.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 31/03/15 17:58, Shawn McKinney a écrit :
> Hi, ACNA is fast approaching and I plan on publishing the following benchmarks there:
>
> 1. openldap accelerator checkAccess and createSession
> 2. openldap fortress checkAccess and createSession
> 3. apache directory fortress checkAccess and createSession
>
> The means for testing is easy, as jmeter test classes for above cases are part of the fortress core source currently.  As you would expect, the tests can be setup by number of threads, number of iterations, number of test servers, etc.
>
> For #3 I would like to make sure that I have configured the apaches server to perform optimally.  Are there best practices / tips that I need to be aware of while setting up my test environment?  What recommendations can you provide that will allow me to show the best performance for apache directory?  These test cases will measure binds and searches of existing elements.

It depends on the number of entries you will have in the server. What is