Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sam Newman <sa...@stamplets.com> on 2001/06/28 15:06:51 UTC

Resin (was: So what *IS* available?)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Hartmann" <eh...@rhinfo.com>
To: <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2001 11:49 AM
Subject: RE: So what *IS* available? <Formerly Tomcat SUCKS>

> We used Resin for months in production without big problems. It's stable
and
> robust.
> Take a look at www.caucho.com.
>
> Eric

but resin is not free to use if "You get paid to develop with Resin" - this
basically means as far as I can see that for commercial use you'll need to
pay for each server - and it seems to cost around $500 a license.
If its benchmarks are to be believed, I'd certainly look at using it, but
would be interested in seeing some independant comparisons....

sam

Re: Resin (was: So what *IS* available?)

Posted by Andy C <ac...@computing.dundee.ac.uk>.
> but resin is not free to use if "You get paid to develop with Resin" -
this
> basically means as far as I can see that for commercial use you'll need to
> pay for each server - and it seems to cost around $500 a license.
> If its benchmarks are to be believed, I'd certainly look at using it, but
> would be interested in seeing some independant comparisons....

Well yes,
But it really does depend on your commercial use.  As the license says
if you are a small start up business with no money then you
can use it.  I guess educational use is free as well and I'm quite sure that
evaluation is free as well.

Anyway, $500 is not a lot to ask for a reasonable server, if it pans out
on my site I'll certainly pay the cost !

Andy

RE: Resin (was: So what *IS* available?)

Posted by Eric Hartmann <eh...@rhinfo.com>.
I know there is some comparison but i forgot the url.
Actually, there is a cost for each production server (500$ and it worth it
!) but for development is free and you can get Servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2 with
resin 1.2.
This is an excerpt of the licence :
"You may use Resin for development, evaluation, and demos.
You must contact us for a deployment license if either:
You are paid to use Resin.
You are paying someone else to use Resin.
If no one is paid to use Resin, you may use Resin for deployment without
purchasing a license:
students
private use
tiny startups with neither funding nor income.
Anyone falling in between should contact us for a waiver.
Distributors must contact us.
If you are allowed to use Resin, you may modify the source for that use."

Eric