Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Yi SHU <ys...@ivision.fr> on 2011/11/16 15:23:35 UTC

Certificate issued by GeoTrust Global CA is not appearing at client browser's side

Hello everyone,

We would like to setup a secured web service on Axis 1.4, Tomcat 6.0.24, JDK 1.6 and CentOS Linux,

because our partner requires HTTPS access to our web service and accepts only publicly trusted certificates (not self-signed ones).

So we are setting up SSL on Tomcat 6.0.24, applying the chapter "Installing a Certificate from a Certificate Authority" of ssl-howto.

At last we can access to our Tomcat welcome page through HTTPS, but the certificate we acquired from GeoTrust Global CA does not appear in my web browser.   For example if we display the welcome page in Internet Explorer 8, the address bar will turn red and a message "certificat error" will appear, showing a certificate delivered by ourselves.

These are the steps we have taken:

Create a new keystore containing a private key:

keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA -keysize 2048 -keystore $myKeyStoreFileName -dname $myDistinguishedName

Create a CSR based on our keystore:

keytool  -certreq -keyalg RSA -alias tomcat -file $myCSRFileName -keystore  $myKeyStoreFileName

Once having received our certificates we imported the root certificate, the chain certificate and our server's certificate:

keytool -import -trustcacerts -alias ROOT -file $myRootCert -keystore $myKeyStoreFileName

keytool -import -trustcacerts -alias INTER -file $myIntermediateCert -keystore $myKeyStoreFileName

keytool -import -trustcacerts -alias $myAlias -file $myServerCert -keystore $myKeyStoreFileName

Could anyone tell me what I missed in my operations? I would also like to translate them into French in order to share it with other developers in my country.

With my best wishes,

Hélène Chèze

Re: Certificate issued by GeoTrust Global CA is not appearing at client browser's side

Posted by rosiere <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

It works.

Thanks.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by rosiere <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Certificate issued by GeoTrust Global CA is not appearing at client browser's side

Posted by rosiere <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Certificate issued by GeoTrust Global CA is not appearing at client browser's side

Posted by Ashish Kulkarni <as...@gmail.com>.
I had to deal with this issue in Websphere, got Thwate certificate and no
matter what i was not able to get the primary and secondary certificate to
work in IE browser, only in Firefox and chrome, finally i got a certificate
from Verisign and it works well in IE and chrome but not in firefox, this
certificate business is very murky with these companies making deals with
browser companies and making our life difficult,
I bet If you add the primary and intermediate certificate to IE browser it
will work fine, if there is another web service who needs to call this then
that web service must know all the 3 certificates to authenticate your
certificate

--
Ashish
www.ayurwellness.com

Re: Certificate issued by GeoTrust Global CA is not appearing at client browser's side

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@vmware.com>.

Posted by rosiere <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by rosiere <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

In fact I read this  command from my certificate provider's installation
guideline.

It gives us these 3 commands:

keytool -import -trustcacerts -alias ROOT -file root.crt -keystore
NEWkeystore
keytool -import -trustcacerts -alias INTER -file inter.crt -keystore
NEWkeystore
keytool -import -trustcacerts -alias your_alias_name -file sslcert.crt
-keystore NEWkeystore

$myServerCert is the certificate that we received from our CA.

We created no self-signed certificate issued by ourselves, but only a
private key in the beginning.

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@vmware.com>.

Posted by Tapio Niemi <ta...@necora.fi>.
Hi,