Posted to dev@echarts.apache.org by Wenli Zhang <ov...@gmail.com> on 2018/11/04 12:15:09 UTC

Criteria for new ECharts committers

Hi all,

As you can see, we have several new contributors making PRs for our project.
And here we'd like to discuss what criteria is requested for one to become
a committer.

Here are some of my suggestions to start with:

1. We can set a minimum number for required PRs merged or issues
contributed. And we need to discuss the amount for them. How about 3 merged
PRs and 10 issues?
As for the definition of *issues contributed*, I think they should report
to us those issues that they think they've helped or made a progress, and
let us judge.

2. I'd suggest candidates send an email for application (maybe to the
private mailing list) and mention the links of their PRs or solved issues
or other contributions (like document fixing, suggestions and etc.). If you
guys agree on this, we shall put a notice about the details on our website
or GitHub about how to apply.

3. The quality is even more important, so this should probably also be
assessed by us.

4. Another requirement I think necessary is the commitment to contribute,
which may be in the form of making more PRs or fixing document errors, or
answering issue problems.

5. After an offline discussion with Dave, Shen Yi and Su Shuang, we think
it is necessary to require those new committers to make PR before their
commits are merged. It's a safer way to make sure our code is at its best
state.

Please feel free to share your opinions on this topic!
And looking forward to having new committers. :)

Zhang Wenli
http://zhangwenli.com

Re: Criteria for new ECharts committers

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

> On Nov 7, 2018, at 1:32 AM, SHUANG SU <su...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 1. We can set a minimum number for required PRs merged or issues
> contributed. And we need to discuss the amount for them. How about 3 merged
> PRs and 10 issues?
> As for the definition of *issues contributed*, I think they should report
> to us those issues that they think they've helped or made a progress, and
> let us judge.
>
> Different issues require different efforts and different level of tech
> knowledge & skills (about this domain and this project). A PR can be
> as simple as changing a typo of a comment, or as complex as modifying
> the underlying framework of the program. So I am afraid it is not a good
> idea
> to make an accurate number of PR and issues as a standard of becoming a
> committer.
> I agree that a candidate need to send application, and the PMC will
> make discussion and investigate that by the historic contribution and other
> factors.

The PPMC needs to look for contributions, we should not take applications.

There is one way that a contributor can indicate that they wish to be a committer. That is submitting an Individual Contributors Agreement and indicating that they want to be part of ECharts.

>> 5. After an offline discussion with Dave, Shen Yi and Su Shuang, we think
> it is necessary to require those new committers to make PR before their
> commits are merged. It's a safer way to make sure our code is at its best
> state.
>
> I agree with that the PR rule, at least in the current stage. Because
> currently
> in practice, the quality of the commits is not good enough to remit the
> code review.
> And a code review makes others think about an issue, that always
> brings some
> issues that not thought of before.

The quality of PRs should be an indication about whether or not a contributor is ready to be a committer.

Be ready to consider non-code / documentation / translation help as ways for contributors to gain merit.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by SHUANG SU <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wenli Zhang <ov...@gmail.com>.