Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Kolev, Nik" <NK...@trueposition.com> on 2005/07/29 23:38:07 UTC

turning all logging off

Hi,

I am switching from Tomcat 3.2.X to Tomcat 4.1.18 (yeah, I know these are old, but that's what a 3rd party software vendor requires for their servlet). I do not need any of the Tomcat/servlets' logs and in Tomcat 3.2.X have modified the conf/server.xml Logger tags to contain the attribute path="/dev/null". Tomcat 4.1.18, though, does not seem to honor this anymore. It honors the directory attribute instead and I can get the 3.2.X behaviour by making directory="/dev/null". Is this the right way to do it?

Also I had to modify the conf/catalina.sh script's start argument path to not append to catalina.out but to /dev/null. Besides turning all logging off, am I doing something wrong without realising it?

Thanks,
Nik