Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Patrick Flaherty <pf...@rampageinc.com> on 2013/03/05 19:04:19 UTC

Cannot access my app after Tomcat 7.0.28

Hi,

When using any build of Tomcat *post* 7.0.28, I cannot access my app !
The app comes up as it does in 7.0.28 (which works) and
logs look the same (no errors). I just can't do an http call to the
server. A packet trace shown the tcp connect (3 way handshake)
and then no response to Get / HTTP/1.1. The index.jsp in ROOT is a jsp
containing a redirect to my app.

<%
	response.sendRedirect("/myapp/index.do");
%>

Did something change in 7.0.29 and beyond that might cause this
behavior? I looked through the changelog and nothing jumped
out at me.

Thanks
Pat

Re: Cannot access my app after Tomcat 7.0.28

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2013/3/5 Patrick Flaherty <pf...@rampageinc.com>:
> Hi,
>
> When using any build of Tomcat *post* 7.0.28, I cannot access my app ! The
> app comes up as it does in 7.0.28 (which works) and
> logs look the same (no errors). I just can't do an http call to the server.
> A packet trace shown the tcp connect (3 way handshake)
> and then no response to Get / HTTP/1.1. The index.jsp in ROOT is a jsp

1. The HTTP method name is "GET" uppercase, case sensitive.

If there is no response, maybe the ROOT webapp just failed to start?

> containing a redirect to my app.
>
> <%
>         response.sendRedirect("/myapp/index.do");
> %>

2. Note that the lines following the above are executed, though are
ignored. Such call is usually followed by "return;" or by end of file.
 Did the jsp generated a proper java file in the work directory?

> Did something change in 7.0.29 and beyond that might cause this behavior? I
> looked through the changelog and nothing jumped
> out at me.

3. 53062, 	53469 ?

4. Did you try with the current 7.0.37?
(The above issues should have been fixed in 7.0.30)

5. According to HTTP spec, "Location" header in a "redirect" response
should be an absolute URL.

If Tomcat cannot properly determine server name and port number to
construct the URL, the response will be wrong.

What are the actual response headers sent by Tomcat?
(You may use telnet to send an HTTP request, or browser plugins such
as Firebug to look response headers).

6. You may try debugging, with a breakpoint inside "sendRedirect()"
method of servlet API.
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Developing#Debugging

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

RE: Cannot access my app after Tomcat 7.0.28

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Patrick Flaherty [mailto:pflahrty@rampageinc.com]
> Subject: Re: Cannot access my app after Tomcat 7.0.28

> Now I just noticed that on this 4 core server, tomcat7.exe *32 is using 25% CPU.

Take several thread dumps and see what's looping.

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_do_I_obtain_a_thread_dump_of_my_running_webapp_.3F

 - Chuck

Re: [OT] Cannot access my app after Tomcat 7.0.28

Posted by "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <sm...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 12:24 AM, Howard W. Smith, Jr. <
smithh032772@gmail.com> wrote:

> Chris,

>> Try running JVisualVM as administrator. I'm not sure if that is even
>> high enough privileges on Microsoft Windows... MS has some odd
>> permissions when it comes to "Services".
>>

> I hope we are not hijacking this thread. :)
>
> Anyway, I am always logged in as administrator on my development and
> production servers.
>
> Please note, I always unzip tomcat/tomee ZIP file(s) to hard drive. Is
> Attach API dependent on a tomcat .exe (Windows install), so registry can be
> updated, or is Tomcat (for Windows) updating registry when tomcat7 windows
> service is installed (or when tomcat is started)?
>

> FYI, in Java Visual VM, when I right-click either of the below and select
Properties, it states the following:

NetBeans : Connection

The application is managed by a local jvmstat connection.

Tomcat (TomEE, in my case) : Connection

The application is managed by a JMX connection. See the JMX Connection tab
for details.

Re: [OT] Cannot access my app after Tomcat 7.0.28

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: [OT] Cannot access my app after Tomcat 7.0.28

Posted by "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <sm...@gmail.com>.
Chris,

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: [OT] Cannot access my app after Tomcat 7.0.28

Posted by "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <sm...@gmail.com>.
Chris,

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Cannot access my app after Tomcat 7.0.28

Posted by "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <sm...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 6:51 PM, Caldarale, Charles R <
Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com> wrote:

> > From: Caldarale, Charles R
> > Subject: RE: Cannot access my app after Tomcat 7.0.28
>
> > > Now I just noticed that on this 4 core server, tomcat7.exe *32 is
> using 25% CPU.
>
> > Take several thread dumps and see what's looping.
>

> http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_do_I_obtain_a_thread_dump_of_my_running_webapp_.3F
>
> I should have mentioned that Windows often makes this difficult when
> running as a service, so you might want to try starting Tomcat with the
> startup.bat script for this diagnostic effort.

really? tomcat stopped running on me sometime between 1 and 2 months ago,
because i had a 'bad' configuration where i used a tomcat7 install to run a
tomee+ install, and after I added a certain version of 'atmosphere' to my
app, tomcat/tomee 'stopped' unexpectedly (repeatedly, after restarting
tomcat/tomee; first time i ever saw that behavior with my app), and as a
result of tomcat/tomee stopping unexpectedly, i got some good thread dump
on Windows Server 2003 or 2008, shared that with you all on this list... to
resolve, i installed and configured only tomee along with a previous/stable
version of atmosphere, and just used tomcat7w.exe to manipulate the Windows
Service.

anyway/also, i am able to monitor tomee/tomcat (and do thread dumps against
tomcat/tomee running as windows service) via JMX and Java Visual VM
(jvisualvm, bundled with Java 7 SDK), since I added the following options
on the Java tab in tomcat7w.exe:

-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=427

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Cannot access my app after Tomcat 7.0.28

Posted by Patrick Flaherty <pf...@rampageinc.com>.
On Mar 7, 2013, at 7:33 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Patrick,
>
> On 3/7/13 8:40 AM, Patrick Flaherty wrote:
>> Thanks for that. Fixed the spinning bug that you pointed out and no
>> more 25% cpu but I still cannot hit the app! :-( So the spinning
>> bug was not related to the inability to get to the ROOT Tomcat app
>> or my app /rrmt.
>
> It may have been contributing to it. Just because fixing it doesn't
> make your server available doesn't mean it wasn't a problem: it just
> wasn't the /whole/ problem.
>
>> Simply, 7.0.37 server does not respond to GET / HTTP/1.1. Remove my
>> war restart Tomcat and I *can *get to the ROOT app. Something in my
>> app that causing the connector to stop responding apparently. Now
>> that I have the JVisualvm configured, is there anything I can
>> derive that it?
>
> Another thread dump? The JVM must be doing *something*.
Hi Chris,

Here's the thread dump as Tomcat is not responding to requests to the
ROOT Tomcat or to my app /rrmt:

2013-03-08 10:03:06
Full thread dump Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (23.7-b01 mixed mode,
sharing):

"JMX server connection timeout 488" daemon prio=6 tid=0x05b09400
nid=0x1d54 in Object.wait() [0x0847f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: TIMED_WAITING (on object monitor)
	at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
	at com.sun.jmx.remote.internal.ServerCommunicatorAdmin
$Timeout.run(Unknown Source)
	- locked <0x2551fd00> (a [I)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"RMI Scheduler(0)" daemon prio=6 tid=0x05b0a000 nid=0x214c waiting on
condition [0x083cf000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: TIMED_WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x29db73a8> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.parkNanos(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer
$ConditionObject.awaitNanos(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor
$DelayedWorkQueue.take(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor
$DelayedWorkQueue.take(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"RMI TCP Connection(1)-192.168.41.41" daemon prio=6 tid=0x05b0ac00
nid=0x4a0 runnable [0x0831f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE
	at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
	at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(Unknown Source)
	at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
	- locked <0x254fc5e8> (a java.io.BufferedInputStream)
	at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport.handleMessages(Unknown Source)
	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run0(Unknown
Source)
	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run(Unknown
Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- <0x254a4a50> (a java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker)

"pool-1-thread-434" daemon prio=6 tid=0x05b0b400 nid=0x9c0 waiting on
condition [0x081ff000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: TIMED_WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x2a9539c8> (a
java.util.concurrent.SynchronousQueue$TransferStack)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.parkNanos(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.SynchronousQueue
$TransferStack.awaitFulfill(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.SynchronousQueue
$TransferStack.transfer(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.SynchronousQueue.poll(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"pool-1-thread-433" daemon prio=6 tid=0x05b0a800 nid=0x12ec waiting on
condition [0x0791f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: TIMED_WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x2a9539c8> (a
java.util.concurrent.SynchronousQueue$TransferStack)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.parkNanos(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.SynchronousQueue
$TransferStack.awaitFulfill(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.SynchronousQueue
$TransferStack.transfer(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.SynchronousQueue.poll(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"pool-8-thread-10" prio=6 tid=0x05acb400 nid=0x1f1c waiting on
condition [0x0a54f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x2ae5d3c8> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer
$ConditionObject.await(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.take(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"pool-8-thread-9" prio=6 tid=0x05acac00 nid=0xa14 waiting on condition
[0x0a49f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x2ae5d3c8> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer
$ConditionObject.await(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.take(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"pool-8-thread-8" prio=6 tid=0x05ac5400 nid=0x17a4 waiting on
condition [0x0a3ef000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x2ae5d3c8> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer
$ConditionObject.await(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.take(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"pool-8-thread-7" prio=6 tid=0x05ac5000 nid=0x1834 waiting on
condition [0x0a33f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x2ae5d3c8> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer
$ConditionObject.await(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.take(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"pool-8-thread-6" prio=6 tid=0x05ac4800 nid=0x1534 waiting on
condition [0x0a28f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x2ae5d3c8> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer
$ConditionObject.await(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.take(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"pool-8-thread-5" prio=6 tid=0x05ac4400 nid=0x1dd8 waiting on
condition [0x0a1df000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x2ae5d3c8> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer
$ConditionObject.await(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.take(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"pool-8-thread-4" prio=6 tid=0x05ac3c00 nid=0x1634 waiting on
condition [0x0a12f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x2ae5d3c8> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer
$ConditionObject.await(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.take(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"pool-8-thread-3" prio=6 tid=0x05ac3800 nid=0x3f0 waiting on condition
[0x0a07f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x2ae5d3c8> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer
$ConditionObject.await(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.take(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"pool-8-thread-2" prio=6 tid=0x05ac3000 nid=0x844 waiting on condition
[0x09fcf000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x2ae5d3c8> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer
$ConditionObject.await(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.take(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"pool-8-thread-1" prio=6 tid=0x05ac2800 nid=0x2104 waiting on
condition [0x09f1f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x2ae5d3c8> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer
$ConditionObject.await(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.take(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"pool-7-thread-10" prio=6 tid=0x05b07400 nid=0x554 waiting on
condition [0x08d0f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x2ae5dba0> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer
$ConditionObject.await(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.take(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"pool-7-thread-9" prio=6 tid=0x05b07000 nid=0x1af0 waiting on
condition [0x0899f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x2ae5dba0> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer
$ConditionObject.await(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.take(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"pool-7-thread-8" prio=6 tid=0x05b06800 nid=0x1510 waiting on
condition [0x08c5f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x2ae5dba0> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer
$ConditionObject.await(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.take(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"pool-7-thread-7" prio=6 tid=0x05b06000 nid=0x1a88 waiting on
condition [0x08baf000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x2ae5dba0> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer
$ConditionObject.await(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.take(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"pool-7-thread-6" prio=6 tid=0x05fd9400 nid=0x207c waiting on
condition [0x08aff000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x2ae5dba0> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer
$ConditionObject.await(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.take(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"pool-7-thread-5" prio=6 tid=0x05fd9000 nid=0x20c0 waiting on
condition [0x08a4f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x2ae5dba0> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer
$ConditionObject.await(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.take(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"pool-7-thread-4" prio=6 tid=0x05fd8800 nid=0x1254 waiting on
condition [0x0883f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x2ae5dba0> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer
$ConditionObject.await(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.take(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"pool-7-thread-3" prio=6 tid=0x05fd8400 nid=0x1e60 waiting on
condition [0x088ef000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x2ae5dba0> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer
$ConditionObject.await(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.take(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"pool-7-thread-2" prio=6 tid=0x05fd7c00 nid=0x14c0 waiting on
condition [0x0868f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x2ae5dba0> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer
$ConditionObject.await(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.take(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"pool-7-thread-1" prio=6 tid=0x05fd7800 nid=0x226c waiting on
condition [0x085df000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x2ae5dba0> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer
$ConditionObject.await(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.take(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"Timer-0" daemon prio=6 tid=0x05fd5800 nid=0x2220 in Object.wait()
[0x06b0f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: TIMED_WAITING (on object monitor)
	at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
	- waiting on <0x2adc8e30> (a java.util.TaskQueue)
	at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Unknown Source)
	- locked <0x2adc8e30> (a java.util.TaskQueue)
	at java.util.TimerThread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"DefaultQuartzScheduler_QuartzSchedulerThread" prio=6 tid=0x05fd5000
nid=0x1278 in Object.wait() [0x06a5f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: TIMED_WAITING (on object monitor)
	at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
	at
org.quartz.core.QuartzSchedulerThread.run(QuartzSchedulerThread.java:
301)
	- locked <0x2adc8ee8> (a java.lang.Object)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-10" prio=6 tid=0x05fd4c00 nid=0xfd0 in
Object.wait() [0x069af000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: TIMED_WAITING (on object monitor)
	at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
	at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool
$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:552)
	- locked <0x2acae3a8> (a org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool
$WorkerThread)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-9" prio=6 tid=0x05fd4400 nid=0x1a38 in
Object.wait() [0x068ff000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: TIMED_WAITING (on object monitor)
	at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
	at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool
$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:552)
	- locked <0x2acae420> (a org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool
$WorkerThread)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-8" prio=6 tid=0x05fd3c00 nid=0x17b8 in
Object.wait() [0x0684f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: TIMED_WAITING (on object monitor)
	at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
	at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool
$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:552)
	- locked <0x2acae498> (a org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool
$WorkerThread)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-7" prio=6 tid=0x05fd3800 nid=0x21c0 in
Object.wait() [0x0679f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: TIMED_WAITING (on object monitor)
	at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
	at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool
$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:552)
	- locked <0x2acae510> (a org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool
$WorkerThread)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-6" prio=6 tid=0x05fd3000 nid=0x2368 in
Object.wait() [0x066ef000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: TIMED_WAITING (on object monitor)
	at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
	at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool
$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:552)
	- locked <0x2acae588> (a org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool
$WorkerThread)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-5" prio=6 tid=0x05fd2c00 nid=0x18a4 in
Object.wait() [0x0663f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: TIMED_WAITING (on object monitor)
	at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
	at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool
$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:552)
	- locked <0x2acae600> (a org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool
$WorkerThread)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-4" prio=6 tid=0x05fd2400 nid=0x1fbc in
Object.wait() [0x0658f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: TIMED_WAITING (on object monitor)
	at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
	at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool
$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:552)
	- locked <0x2acae678> (a org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool
$WorkerThread)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-3" prio=6 tid=0x05fd2000 nid=0x1d94 in
Object.wait() [0x064df000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: TIMED_WAITING (on object monitor)
	at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
	at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool
$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:552)
	- locked <0x2acae6f0> (a org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool
$WorkerThread)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-2" prio=6 tid=0x05fb4000 nid=0x132c in
Object.wait() [0x0642f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: TIMED_WAITING (on object monitor)
	at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
	at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool
$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:552)
	- locked <0x2acae768> (a org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool
$WorkerThread)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-1" prio=6 tid=0x05bc8000 nid=0x23fc in
Object.wait() [0x0637f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: TIMED_WAITING (on object monitor)
	at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
	at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool
$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:552)
	- locked <0x2acae7e0> (a org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool
$WorkerThread)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"KillQueue Consumer Thread" daemon prio=6 tid=0x05d0d000 nid=0x1e20
waiting on condition [0x062cf000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x2a8c10f8> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer
$ConditionObject.await(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.take(Unknown Source)
	at com.adamtaft.eb.BasicEventBus
$KillQueueRunner.run(BasicEventBus.java:308)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"EventQueue Consumer Thread" daemon prio=6 tid=0x05d90000 nid=0x1b48
waiting on condition [0x0621f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x2a8c11f0> (a
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer
$ConditionObject.await(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.take(Unknown Source)
	at com.adamtaft.eb.BasicEventBus
$EventQueueRunner.run(BasicEventBus.java:291)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"localhost-startStop-1" daemon prio=6 tid=0x0552c000 nid=0x414
runnable [0x0596f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE
	at java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentLinkedQueue.isEmpty(Unknown Source)
	at
com
.rampageinc
.base
.serverpush
.RRServerPushContextListener
.contextInitialized(RRServerPushContextListener.java:84)
	at
org
.apache
.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:4797)
	at
org
.apache
.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5291)
	- locked <0x29c94de0> (a org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext)
	at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
	- locked <0x29c94de0> (a org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext)
	at
org
.apache
.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:901)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:
877)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:
633)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR(HostConfig.java:
977)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig
$DeployWar.run(HostConfig.java:1655)
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- <0x29c952e8> (a java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker)

"Catalina-startStop-1" daemon prio=6 tid=0x05522000 nid=0x193c waiting
on condition [0x058bf000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x29c95260> (a java.util.concurrent.FutureTask
$Sync)
	at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(Unknown Source)
	at
java
.util
.concurrent
.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.parkAndCheckInterrupt(Unknown Source)
	at
java
.util
.concurrent
.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.doAcquireSharedInterruptibly(Unknown
Source)
	at
java
.util
.concurrent
.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.acquireSharedInterruptibly(Unknown
Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerGet(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWARs(HostConfig.java:
766)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:
477)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1402)
	at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:
318)
	at
org
.apache
.catalina
.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
	at
org
.apache
.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleBase.java:90)
	at
org
.apache
.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.setStateInternal(LifecycleBase.java:402)
	- locked <0x29c94ff8> (a org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost)
	at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.setState(LifecycleBase.java:
347)
	- locked <0x29c94ff8> (a org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost)
	at
org
.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.startInternal(ContainerBase.java:
1140)
	- locked <0x29c94ff8> (a org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.startInternal(StandardHost.java:
800)
	- locked <0x29c94ff8> (a org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost)
	at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
	- locked <0x29c94ff8> (a org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase
$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1559)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase
$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1549)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- <0x29c955b0> (a java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker)

"GC Daemon" daemon prio=2 tid=0x0549e000 nid=0x2294 in Object.wait()
[0x0578f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: TIMED_WAITING (on object monitor)
	at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
	- waiting on <0x29c95648> (a sun.misc.GC$LatencyLock)
	at sun.misc.GC$Daemon.run(Unknown Source)
	- locked <0x29c95648> (a sun.misc.GC$LatencyLock)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"RMI TCP Accept-0" daemon prio=6 tid=0x04cd6000 nid=0x1a34 runnable
[0x0519f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE
	at java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.accept0(Native Method)
	at java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.socketAccept(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.accept(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(Unknown Source)
	- locked <0x29c957e0> (a java.net.SocksSocketImpl)
	at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(Unknown Source)
	at sun.management.jmxremote.LocalRMIServerSocketFactory
$1.accept(Unknown Source)
	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport
$AcceptLoop.executeAcceptLoop(Unknown Source)
	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$AcceptLoop.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"RMI TCP Accept-427" daemon prio=6 tid=0x04ccd400 nid=0x10f4 runnable
[0x04faf000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE
	at java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.accept0(Native Method)
	at java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.socketAccept(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.accept(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(Unknown Source)
	- locked <0x29c95a28> (a java.net.SocksSocketImpl)
	at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(Unknown Source)
	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport
$AcceptLoop.executeAcceptLoop(Unknown Source)
	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$AcceptLoop.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"RMI TCP Accept-0" daemon prio=6 tid=0x04cc2c00 nid=0x1f24 runnable
[0x04e9f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE
	at java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.accept0(Native Method)
	at java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.socketAccept(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.accept(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(Unknown Source)
	- locked <0x29c95c70> (a java.net.SocksSocketImpl)
	at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(Unknown Source)
	at javax.rmi.ssl.SslRMIServerSocketFactory$1.accept(Unknown Source)
	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport
$AcceptLoop.executeAcceptLoop(Unknown Source)
	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$AcceptLoop.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"Service Thread" daemon prio=6 tid=0x021b6000 nid=0x620 runnable
[0x00000000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"C1 CompilerThread0" daemon prio=10 tid=0x021adc00 nid=0x21dc waiting
on condition [0x00000000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"Attach Listener" daemon prio=10 tid=0x021ac400 nid=0x1658 waiting on
condition [0x00000000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"Signal Dispatcher" daemon prio=10 tid=0x021a9000 nid=0x164c runnable
[0x00000000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"Finalizer" daemon prio=8 tid=0x02196800 nid=0xd48 in Object.wait()
[0x0485f000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (on object monitor)
	at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
	at java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue.remove(Unknown Source)
	- locked <0x29c95fb0> (a java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue$Lock)
	at java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue.remove(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.ref.Finalizer$FinalizerThread.run(Unknown Source)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"Reference Handler" daemon prio=10 tid=0x02191c00 nid=0x118c in
Object.wait() [0x047af000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (on object monitor)
	at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
	at java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:503)
	at java.lang.ref.Reference$ReferenceHandler.run(Unknown Source)
	- locked <0x29c94d58> (a java.lang.ref.Reference$Lock)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"main" prio=6 tid=0x0047bc00 nid=0x219c waiting on condition
[0x004ef000]
    java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
	at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
	- parking to wait for  <0x29c95528> (a java.util.concurrent.FutureTask
$Sync)
[...]
1123)
	- locked <0x29c96160> (a org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine)
	at
org
.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.startInternal(StandardEngine.java:
302)
	- locked <0x29c96160> (a org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine)
	at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
	- locked <0x29c96160> (a org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine)
	at
org
.apache
.catalina.core.StandardService.startInternal(StandardService.java:443)
	- locked <0x29c96160> (a org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine)
	at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
	- locked <0x29c96288> (a org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService)
	at
org
.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.startInternal(StandardServer.java:
732)
	- locked <0x29c962c0> (a [Lorg.apache.catalina.Service;)
	at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
	- locked <0x29c962d0> (a org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:684)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:322)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:456)

    Locked ownable synchronizers:
	- None

"VM Thread" prio=10 tid=0x02190400 nid=0x2118 runnable

"VM Periodic Task Thread" prio=10 tid=0x04cd9000 nid=0x1f64 waiting on
condition

JNI global references: 389

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Cannot access my app after Tomcat 7.0.28

Posted by Patrick Flaherty <pf...@rampageinc.com>.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for that. Fixed the spinning bug that you pointed out and no
more 25% cpu but I still cannot hit the app! :-(
So the spinning bug was not related to the inability to get to the
ROOT Tomcat app or my app /rrmt.

Simply, 7.0.37 server does not respond to GET / HTTP/1.1. Remove my
war restart Tomcat and I *can *get to the ROOT app.
Something in my app that causing the connector to stop responding
apparently. Now that I have the JVisualvm configured,
is there anything I can derive that it?

Thanks once again.
Pat

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Patrick Flaherty <pf...@rampageinc.com>.
On Mar 6, 2013, at 10:53 AM, Howard W. Smith, Jr. wrote:

> Patrick,
>
> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 6:51 PM, Caldarale, Charles R <
> Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com> wrote:
>
>>> From: Caldarale, Charles R
>>> Subject: RE: Cannot access my app after Tomcat 7.0.28

>> using 25% CPU.
>>
>>> Take several thread dumps and see what's looping.
>>

>> http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_do_I_obtain_a_thread_dump_of_my_running_webapp_.3F
>>
>> I should have mentioned that Windows often makes this difficult when
>> running as a service, so you might want to try starting Tomcat with
>> the
>> startup.bat script for this diagnostic effort.
>>
>> - Chuck
>>

> Can you?
>
> 1. configure java options with a JMX port  in tomcat7w.exe, where
> JMX port
> = an available port on localhost
>
> 2. start Tomcat7 windows service
>
> 3. open Java Visual VM (e.g. C:\Program
> Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_13\bin\jvisualvm.exe)
>
> 4. In Java Visual VM, connect to the JMX port and perform a heap
> dump or
> monitor the hotspots (to determine cause of the 25% CPU, etc...)

I am a novice with these tools so please bear with me.
I managed to get jvisualvm to connect to my local app, see screenshot
below with a thread dump immediately after.
I hope someone knows what the thread dump tell us because I can't,
sorry.

Re: Cannot access my app after Tomcat 7.0.28

Posted by "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <sm...@gmail.com>.
Patrick,

Posted by Patrick Flaherty <pf...@rampageinc.com>.
Hi Chuck,

I ran tomcat7w.exe //MS//Tomcat7 and the service started and I have a
monitor in the tray, I waited till my app
was up and CPU was again at 25%.  When I right-click and select
'Thread Dump', I'm not getting any thread dump in stdout.log.
What I did notice is in the commons-daemon.2013...log is the following
message:

[2013-03-05 20:03:16] [error] [ 7724] The handle is invalid

Any ideas?
Pat

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Patrick Flaherty <pf...@rampageinc.com>.
On Mar 5, 2013, at 4:44 PM, Howard W. Smith, Jr. wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 1:04 PM, Patrick Flaherty <pflahrty@rampageinc.com
> >wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> When using any build of Tomcat *post* 7.0.28, I cannot access my
>> app ! The
>> app comes up as it does in 7.0.28 (which works) and
>> logs look the same (no errors). I just can't do an http call to the
>> server. A packet trace shown the tcp connect (3 way handshake)
>> and then no response to Get / HTTP/1.1. The index.jsp in ROOT is a
>> jsp
>> containing a redirect to my app.
>>
>> <%
>>        response.sendRedirect("/myapp/**index.do");
>> %>
>>
>> Did something change in 7.0.29 and beyond that might cause this
>> behavior?
>> I looked through the changelog and nothing jumped
>> out at me.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Pat
>>

> You may want to share more details about your environment/
> configuration. Is
> it possible that your 7.0.29+ configuration is missing some
> configuration
> that exists in your 7.0.28 configuration? You also may want to share
> the
> steps you took while migrating to, installing, or configuring your
> 7.0.29+
> environment.
I downloaded the 32 bit zip version of the tomcat. Change the tcp port
in the server.xml file from 8080 to 80.
The platform is Windows 7 64 bit. I run the service.bat file to
install it as a service. (Service install Tomcat7).
I did not replace the index.jsp this time and did not introduce my
war. I then started the service and I was able
to get to the standard Tomcat ROOT page. So I know Tomcat works. I
stop tomcat, drop my war file in and
restart tomcat. I go to standardout.log and I see my app is completely
up and is running, as it prints an info
line every 5 minutes to stdout. At this point I cannot get to the ROOT
page (Now has the stock index.jsp) nor
can I get to my app by typing the URL consisting of the ip address of
the computer +/myapp (e.g. http://192168.2.2/rrmt).
Both just hang in the browser. Now I just noticed that on this 4 core
server, tomcat7.exe *32 is using 25% CPU.
My app *seems happy printing it's server is up message to the
stdout.log.

Same war works in 7.0.27 and a few tomcats prior but every tomcat
fails as described above for every version post 7.0.27 up
through 7.0.37. I have tried them all. It must be something in my code
but I perplexed. The act of adding my war causes the problem.
I checked the changelog for tomcat and cannot see anything that would
cause this.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Posted by "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <sm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <sm...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 9:09 PM, Howard W. Smith, Jr. <smithh032772@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Move in the other folder and install the service (Service install Tomcat7)
>>

> After you run 'service.bat install Tomcat7' for 7.0.27 and 7.0.28, please
> reply with the following that you see in tomcat7w.exe 'Java' tab. For
> example, my 'Java' tab has the following:
>
> Java Classpath:
>

> C:\apache-tomee-plus-1.6.0-SNAPSHOT\bin\bootstrap.jar;C:\apache-tomee-plus-1.6.0-SNAPSHOT\bin\tomcat-juli.jar;C:\apache-tomee-plus-1.6.0-SNAPSHOT\bin\tomcat-juli.jar
>
> Java options:
>
> -Dcatalina.base=C:\apache-tomee-plus-1.6.0-SNAPSHOT
> -Dcatalina.home=C:\apache-tomee-plus-1.6.0-SNAPSHOT
> -Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\apache-tomee-plus-1.6.0-SNAPSHOT\endorsed
> -Djava.io.tmpdir=C:\apache-tomee-plus-1.6.0-SNAPSHOT\temp
> -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
>
> -Djava.util.logging.config.file=C:\apache-tomee-plus-1.6.0-SNAPSHOT\conf\logging.properties
> -Djava.awt.headless=true
> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=500
> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false
> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false
> -Xmx1024m
> -XX:MaxPermSize=384m
> -XX:+UseTLAB
> -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
> -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled
>

> Again, please share what you see in tomcat7w.exe on 'Java' tab immediately
> after you install service via 'service install Tomcat7', and then share
> your changes on this tab.
>
> please share the tomcat7w.exe 'Java' config for 7.0.27 and 7.0.28.

Also, on General (1st) tab of tomcat7w.exe, what is the 'Path to
executable' for your 7.0.27 and 7.0.28 install/config?

Re: Cannot access my app after Tomcat 7.0.28

Posted by "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <sm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Flaherty <pf...@rampageinc.com>.
On Mar 6, 2013, at 9:30 AM, Howard W. Smith, Jr. wrote:

>>> if you are moving the 'unused' tomcat folder to Recycle Bin, I
>>> have seen
>>> issues with using Recycle Bin. if you are moving to recycle bin,
>>> then
>>> delete whatever is in recycle bin, too...as one of your steps before
>>> installing and running 7.0.28+. I don't use Recycle Bin ever, i
>>> always
>>> Shift-Delete (permanent delete).
>>>

>> No, just move them to and from a temp folder on the c: drive.
>>

> Did you download .exe install program and then run .exe to install
> Tomcat
> 7.0.28+, or did you download Tomcat 7.0.28+ .zip file and unzip the
> contents to that tomcat folder on your C:\?
>
> I ask, because there was a recent discussion about the Tomcat .exe,
> and I
> think that discussion had findings that there was an issue in Tomcat's
> Windows Registry key that is/was updated by the Tomcat .exe install
> program.
>
> FYI, I don't use .exe... I only use .zip and unzip to my hard drive.

I'm using the zip files.

Re: Cannot access my app after Tomcat 7.0.28

Posted by "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <sm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Flaherty <pf...@rampageinc.com>.

Posted by "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <sm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Flaherty <pf...@rampageinc.com>.

Posted by "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <sm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Flaherty <pf...@rampageinc.com>.
On Mar 5, 2013, at 6:59 PM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:

> 2013/3/5 Patrick Flaherty <pf...@rampageinc.com>:
>> (...)
>> The index.jsp in ROOT is a jsp
>> containing a redirect to my app.
>>
>> <%
>>        response.sendRedirect("/myapp/index.do");
>> %>
>>

> Confirming that a redirect such as above one works in current 7.0.x.
>
> I replaced default ROOT/index.jsp with this simple page,
> [[[
> <%
>        response.sendRedirect("/examples/index.html");
> %>
> ]]]
>
> It works.

Thanks for that confirmation.

>> I go to standardout.log and I see my app is completely up and is
>> running
>
> What about other log files?  localhost.DATE.log, catalina.DATE.log?
> Is your request mentioned in the localhost_access_log.DATE.txt file?
Nothing

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.