Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Stuart Smith <st...@yahoo.com> on 2010/11/09 04:02:19 UTC

Hive Getting Started Wiki assumes $CLASSPATH at end of HADOOP_CLASSPATH

Hello,

   I'm just starting with hive, and I ran into a newbie problem that didn't have a solution via google. So I thought I'd record the solution for posterity (and other hapless newbies) :)

I've been using hadoop/hbase for a while, and have configured hadoop-env.sh a bit here and there (to work with hbase, etc). At some point, I dropped the $CLASSPATH off the end of the standard line:

export HADOOP_CLASSPATH=/home/stu/hbase/hbase-0.20.6.jar:/home/stu/hbase/hbase-0.20.6-test.jar:/home/stu/hbase/conf:/home/stu/hbase/lib/zookeeper-3.2.2.jar:$CLASSPATH

So it became:

# Extra Java CLASSPATH elements.  Optional.
export HADOOP_CLASSPATH=/home/stu/hbase/hbase-0.20.6.jar:/home/stu/hbase/hbase-0.20.6-test.jar:/home/stu/hbase/conf:/home/stu/hbase/lib/zookeeper-3.2.2.jar

(probably when I added the hbase stuff or something). My hadoop/hbase set up runs fine, so I never noticed.

Well, if you do that, and you try to run the hive shell, you get the:

stu@ubuntu-update:~/hive-0.6.0/bin/ext$ /home/stu/hadoop-0.20.2/bin/hadoop jar /home/stu/hive-0.6.0/lib/hive-cli-0.6.0.jar org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/hadoop/hive/conf/HiveConf
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.hadoop.hive.conf.HiveConf
	... 3 more

error, even if you've followed the wiki correctly and set HADOOP_HOME and HIVE_HOME correctly. Note the command line above is a little strange, because I was debugging through the $HIVE_HOME/bin/hive script... (So I printed out the classpath it was forming, set it by hand, ran the instructions by hand, etc).

This is installing from the hive tar (stable). But that doesn't matter.

Anyways, hope the answer helps someone..

Best,
  -stu

Re: Hive Getting Started Wiki assumes $CLASSPATH at end of HADOOP_CLASSPATH

Posted by Stuart Smith <st...@yahoo.com>.
Hello,

  Just to clarify, the hive shell is working for me. It started working when I added $CLASSPATH back on to HADOOP_CLASSPATH in hadoop_env.sh. I just posted my solution to help anybody else who had the same issue.

It's kind of a random user error (the default hadoop configuration has $CLASSPATH at the end) on my part.

Sorry if I cluttered up the list :|

I'll stick with questions or solutions to other peoples questions from now on..

Thanks for the help!

Take care,
  -stu

From: Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>

To: user@hive.apache.org
Date: Tuesday, November 9, 2010, 12:45 AM

Please see Edward's reply to 'Exception in hive
 startup' on Oct 13th.
Try running with <install-dir>/bin/hive

Posted by Saravanan Rajendran <sa...@julysystems.com>.
Hi,

Can you please help me to solve the below problem. I have spend on this 2
days, still i could not solve this.

Dynamic partition is not working as expected.

To Test Dynamic-partition Insert

Create source table
------------------
CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE testmove (
    a  string,
    b string
  )
  PARTITIONED BY (cust string, dt string);
Data has been kept in /usr/hive/warehouse/testmove/cust=a/dt=20100102/a.txt
a.txt has 1 row the value is "a", "b"

Create Destination table
-----------------------
CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE testmove1 (
    a  string,
    b string
  )
  PARTITIONED BY (cust string, dt string)
Run the query for dynamic partion insert
---------------------------------------
set hive.exec.dynamic.partition=true;
set hive.exec.dynamic.partition.mode=nonstrict;

FROM testmove t
    INSERT OVERWRITE TABLE testmove1 PARTITIONS (cust, dt)
        SELECT t.a, t.b, 'a', '20100102';

FROM testmove t
    INSERT OVERWRITE TABLE testmove1 PARTITION (cust='a', dt)
        SELECT t.a, t.b, t.dt;

    INSERT OVERWRITE TABLE testmove1 PARTITION (cust, dt)
    SELECT * FROM (
        SELECT a, b, cust, dt from testmove DISTRIBUTE BY cust, dt
    ) X;

output
-------
otal MapReduce jobs = 2
Launching Job 1 out of 2
Number of reduce tasks is set to 0 since there's no reduce operator
Execution log at:
/tmp/root/root_20101103170404_9e869676-7bb5-4655-b027-5bcb4b7fa2cb.log
Job running in-process (local Hadoop)
2010-11-03 17:04:06,818 null map = 100%,  reduce = 0%
Ended Job = job_local_0001
Ended Job = -645725555, job is filtered out (removed at runtime).
Moving data to:
file:/tmp/hive-root/hive_2010-11-03_17-03-59_979_5901061386316364507/-ext-10000
[Warning] could not update stats.
OK

If i run as static partion is the data is inserted in to destination table.

FROM testmove t
    INSERT OVERWRITE TABLE testmove1 PARTITION (cust='a', dt='20100102')
        SELECT t.a, t.b;

Posted by yongqiang he <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.