Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de> on 2012/05/08 23:55:24 UTC

[ML] Please state that the mail was approved and that the author is not subscribed to the ML

When you as ML moderator approve a post to a mailing list, please can
you also state that the author is not subscribed to the ML and that
everybody who wants to replay has to CC'ing the author?

This would be very helpful from the start of the first posting.

Thanks

Marcus

Re: [ML] Please state that the mail was approved and that the author is not subscribed to the ML

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Le Wed, 9 May 2012 00:53:37 +0100, Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> a écrit :

> Look for a header saying:
>
> Messages with that header have been moderated and your client can flag them.

There is a bug in Thunderbird and it cannot handle 2 headers with the same name. So Thunderbird users can't use the filters.
The link to the bug has been posted twice on this list already.

Hagar

Re: [ML] Please state that the mail was approved and that the author is not subscribed to the ML

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 9 May 2012 02:01, Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2012-05-08 4:32 PM  Marcus (OOo) wrote:

>>> As a moderator, I am not aware of any way to do this; the moderator has
>>> no means to add a comment to an approved posting. It is possible to tell
>>> from the message headers that a message has been moderated, so perhaps you
>>> could add a rule/macro to your mail client to add the originator as a cc on
>>> any reply when this header is present?
>>

>> I remember that it was possible with the old OOo mailing lists. I cannot
>> believe that this is gone even when here a different ML service is working.
>> ;-)
>>
>> If you can tell me how to do it in Thnderbird I can give it a try.
>>
>> Marcus
>

> Messages from an unsubscribed poster contain the following header:
>
> You can create a filter on this header with Thunderbird for emails. If you
> follow this list as a newsgroup using, as I do, you can't create a filter.
> There were many complaints on the old OOo lists about allowing unsubscribed
> posters. Unless they are clearly identified in the Subject line, it is a
> pain in the ass to identify them. Nothing was ever done to rectify the
> problem.

Possible solutions:
- don't allow posts unless subscribed (e.g. reject the post with a
link to the subscription page)
- allow postings by unsubscribed users, but let them follow the
replies via one of the archive services.

It's a lot of work trying to ensure that unsubscribed posters are
copied - much more work than the one-time effort of subscribing.

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.
On 2012-05-08 4:32 PM  Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 05/09/2012 12:07 AM, schrieb Simon Phipps:
>>
>> On 8 May 2012, at 22:55, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
>>
>>> When you as ML moderator approve a post to a mailing list, please can you also state that
>>> the author is not subscribed to the ML and that everybody who wants to replay has to CC'ing
>>> the author?
>>>
>>> This would be very helpful from the start of the first posting.
>>
>> As a moderator, I am not aware of any way to do this; the moderator has no means to add a
>> comment to an approved posting. It is possible to tell from the message headers that a
>> message has been moderated, so perhaps you could add a rule/macro to your mail client to add
>> the originator as a cc on any reply when this header is present?
>
> I remember that it was possible with the old OOo mailing lists. I cannot believe that this is
> gone even when here a different ML service is working. ;-)
>
> If you can tell me how to do it in Thnderbird I can give it a try.
>
> Marcus

Messages from an unsubscribed poster contain the following header:

You can create a filter on this header with Thunderbird for emails. If you follow this list as
a newsgroup using, as I do, you can't create a filter. There were many complaints on the old
OOo lists about allowing unsubscribed posters. Unless they are clearly identified in the
Subject line, it is a pain in the ass to identify them. Nothing was ever done to rectify the
problem.

--
_________________________________

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On May 8, 2012, at 4:21 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:

> Marcus (OOo) wrote:

>>> As a moderator, I am not aware of any way to do this; the moderator
>>> has no means to add a comment to an approved posting. It is possible
>>> to tell from the message headers that a message has been moderated,
>>> so perhaps you could add a rule/macro to your mail client to add the
>>> originator as a cc on any reply when this header is present?
>>
>> I remember that it was possible with the old OOo mailing lists. I
>> cannot believe that this is gone even when here a different ML service
>> is working. ;-)
>>
>> If you can tell me how to do it in Thnderbird I can give it a try.
>
> Indeed, it was and remains possible with the OOo ML, and we used the same technology, much to the annoyance of some.
>
> Probably we can find out by asking those who implemented it what they did, but if I recall, it was a simple insertion of [moderated] via script to the message needing approval.

If so then it is a simple matter of asking Infrastructure.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.
On 8 May 2012, at 22:55, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

> When you as ML moderator approve a post to a mailing list, please can you also state that the author is not subscribed to the ML and that everybody who wants to replay has to CC'ing the author?
>
> This would be very helpful from the start of the first posting.

As a moderator, I am not aware of any way to do this; the moderator has no means to add a comment to an approved posting. It is possible to tell from the message headers that a message has been moderated, so perhaps you could add a rule/macro to your mail client to add the originator as a cc on any reply when this header is present?

Cheers,

S.