Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by tp...@terranovum.com on 2005/02/16 21:36:35 UTC

surbl not reporting on any incoming email

I have SA 3.0.0 on Mandrake 10.1 and I am running everything through
procmail and am not running spamd. I believe that is the default for
10.1. Anyhow, I am not seeing surbl reports in any of the spam I am
receiving and I can't imagine that is normal. I checked the tests and
they are indeed there. I have the newest version of Net::DNS. I read the
FAQ over at surbl.org with regards to this and nothing seems to apply.
Thanks,
Tom

local.cf (relevant entries)

skip_rbl_checks 0
dns_available yes

The email I ran lint on had a domain in it.

spamassassin  --lint -D < /tmp/test_spam
debug: SpamAssassin version 3.0.0
debug: Score set 0 chosen.
debug: running in taint mode? no
debug: diag: module installed: DBI, version 1.43
debug: diag: module installed: DB_File, version 1.810
debug: diag: module installed: Digest::SHA1, version 2.10
debug: diag: module installed: IO::Socket::UNIX, version 1.21
debug: diag: module installed: MIME::Base64, version 3.03
debug: diag: module installed: Net::DNS, version 0.48
debug: diag: module not installed: Net::LDAP ('require' failed)
debug: diag: module not installed: Razor2::Client::Agent ('require' failed)
debug: diag: module installed: Storable, version 2.13
debug: diag: module installed: URI, version 1.31
debug: ignore: using a test message to lint rules
debug: using "/etc/mail/spamassassin/init.pre" for site rules init.pre
debug: config: read file /etc/mail/spamassassin/init.pre
debug: using "/usr/share/spamassassin" for default rules dir
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/10_misc.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_anti_ratware.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_body_tests.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_compensate.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_dnsbl_tests.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_drugs.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_fake_helo_tests.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_head_tests.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_html_tests.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_meta_tests.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_phrases.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_porn.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_ratware.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/20_uri_tests.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/23_bayes.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/25_body_tests_es.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/25_hashcash.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/25_spf.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/25_uribl.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/30_text_de.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/30_text_fr.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/30_text_nl.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/30_text_pl.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/50_scores.cf
debug: config: read file /usr/share/spamassassin/60_whitelist.cf
debug: using "/etc/mail/spamassassin" for site rules dir
debug: config: read file /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
debug: using "/root/.spamassassin" for user state dir
debug: using "/root/.spamassassin/user_prefs" for user prefs file
debug: config: read file /root/.spamassassin/user_prefs
debug: plugin: loading Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL from @INC
debug: plugin: registered
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x848a648)
debug: plugin: loading Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Hashcash from @INC
debug: plugin: registered
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Hashcash=HASH(0x8c19074)
debug: plugin: loading Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF from @INC
debug: plugin: registered Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF=HASH(0x8bf66c8)
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x848a648)
implements 'parse_config'
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Hashcash=HASH(0x8c19074)
implements 'parse_config'
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x848a648)
inhibited further callbacks
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x848a648)
inhibited further callbacks
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x848a648)
inhibited further callbacks
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x848a648)
inhibited further callbacks
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x848a648)
inhibited further callbacks
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x848a648)
inhibited further callbacks
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x848a648)
inhibited further callbacks
debug: bayes: Using username: root
debug: bayes: Database connection established
debug: bayes: found bayes db version 3
debug: bayes: Using userid: 10
debug: bayes: Not available for scanning, only 0 spam(s) in Bayes DB < 200
debug: Score set 1 chosen.
debug: ---- MIME PARSER START ----
debug: main message type: text/plain
debug: parsing normal part
debug: added part, type: text/plain
debug: ---- MIME PARSER END ----
debug: bayes: Database connection established
debug: bayes: found bayes db version 3
debug: bayes: Using userid: 10
debug: bayes: Not available for scanning, only 0 spam(s) in Bayes DB < 200
debug: metadata: X-Spam-Relays-Trusted:
debug: metadata: X-Spam-Relays-Untrusted:
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x848a648)
implements 'parsed_metadata'
debug: dns_available set to yes in config file, skipping test
debug: decoding: no encoding detected
debug: URIDNSBL: domains to query:
debug: is Net::DNS::Resolver available? yes
debug: Net::DNS version: 0.48
debug: all '*From' addrs: ignore@compiling.spamassassin.taint.org
debug: Running tests for priority: 0
debug: running header regexp tests; score so far=0
debug: registering glue method for check_uridnsbl
(Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x848a648))
debug: registering glue method for check_hashcash_double_spend
(Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Hashcash=HASH(0x8c19074))
debug: registering glue method for check_for_spf_helo_pass
(Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF=HASH(0x8bf66c8))
debug: SPF: message was delivered entirely via trusted relays, not required
debug: registering glue method for check_hashcash_value
(Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Hashcash=HASH(0x8c19074))
debug: all '*To' addrs:
debug: registering glue method for check_for_spf_softfail
(Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF=HASH(0x8bf66c8))
debug: SPF: message was delivered entirely via trusted relays, not required
debug: registering glue method for check_for_spf_pass
(Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF=HASH(0x8bf66c8))
debug: registering glue method for check_for_spf_helo_softfail
(Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF=HASH(0x8bf66c8))
debug: registering glue method for check_for_spf_helo_fail
(Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF=HASH(0x8bf66c8))
debug: running body-text per-line regexp tests; score so far=-2.623
debug: running uri tests; score so far=-2.623
debug: Razor2 is not available
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x848a648)
implements 'check_tick'
debug: running raw-body-text per-line regexp tests; score so far=-2.623
debug: running full-text regexp tests; score so far=-2.623
debug: Razor2 is not available
debug: Current PATH is:
/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin
debug: Pyzor is not available: pyzor not found
debug: DCCifd is not available: no r/w dccifd socket found.
debug: DCC is not available: no executable dccproc found.
debug: Running tests for priority: 500
debug: RBL: success for 1 of 1 queries
debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x848a648)
implements 'check_post_dnsbl'
debug: running meta tests; score so far=-2.623
debug: running header regexp tests; score so far=-1.053
debug: running body-text per-line regexp tests; score so far=-1.053
debug: running uri tests; score so far=-1.053
debug: running raw-body-text per-line regexp tests; score so far=-1.053
debug: running full-text regexp tests; score so far=-1.053
debug: Running tests for priority: 1000
debug: running meta tests; score so far=-1.053
debug: running header regexp tests; score so far=-1.053
debug: lock: 13398 created /var/spool/spamassassin/auto-whitelist.mutex
debug: lock: 13398 trying to get lock on
/var/spool/spamassassin/auto-whitelist with 30 timeout
debug: lock: 13398 link to /var/spool/spamassassin/auto-whitelist.mutex:
link okdebug: Tie-ing to DB file R/W in
/var/spool/spamassassin/auto-whitelist
debug: auto-whitelist (db-based):
ignore@compiling.spamassassin.taint.org|ip=none scores 0/0
debug: AWL active, pre-score: -1.053, autolearn score: -1.053, mean:
undef, IP: undef
debug: DB addr list: untie-ing and unlocking.
debug: DB addr list: file locked, breaking lock.
debug: unlock: 13398 unlocked /var/spool/spamassassin/auto-whitelist.mutex
debug: Post AWL score: -1.053
debug: running body-text per-line regexp tests; score so far=-1.053
debug: running uri tests; score so far=-1.053
debug: running raw-body-text per-line regexp tests; score so far=-1.053
debug: running full-text regexp tests; score so far=-1.053
debug: is spam? score=-1.053 required=4
debug: tests=ALL_TRUSTED,MISSING_DATE,MISSING_SUBJECT,NO_REAL_NAME
debug:
subtests=__HAS_MSGID,__MSGID_OK_DIGITS,__MSGID_OK_HOST,__SANE_MSGID,__UNUSABLE_MSGID

Re: surbl not reporting on any incoming email

Posted by Thomas Bolioli <tp...@terranovum.com>.
 From the original email I used as seed for the test. Note, no surbl
test hit.
Tom

   *  0.2 CONSOLIDATE_DEBT BODY: Consolidate debt, credit, or bills
   *  0.8 NO_OBLIGATION BODY: There is no obligation
   *  2.3 BIZ_TLD URI: Contains an URL in the BIZ top-level domain
   *  1.9 BAYES_99 BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 99 to 100%
   *      [score: 1.0000]

Re: Odd issue with a few mailing lists..

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.
At 02:53 PM 2/16/2005, you wrote:
>Note: I use Eudora.
>
>Unfortunately, this is a design "feature" of Eudora.. It always extracts
>attachments, and has to, as it does not support leaving them in the
>message mailbox. This has lead to numerous security exploits against
>eudora in the past. Since the attachment extraction happens automatically
>when the message is downloaded, malicious encodings get decoded
>automatically...
>
>Your best bet is in Eudora options, under attachments, enable the "delete
>attachments when emptying trash". This will make eudora clean up a
>messages attachments when you empty it out of your trash.. Not perfect,
>and you have to make sure to save attachments you want keep, but it's
>helpful and automated.

But it will only delete the attachment if I delete the message, correct? So
if I keep a message, it keeps the attachment. Delete the message,
attachment goes with it?

>You might also consider enabling 'put text attachments in body of
>message'... but that's a bit problematic if you really want a text
>attachment to be saved separately..

I think that's a better idea for now. :)

Thanks..

Evan

Re: Odd issue with a few mailing lists..

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.

Posted by Thomas Bolioli <tp...@terranovum.com>.
They're S/MIME digital signatures. Eudora has a habit of automatically
extracting (and severing) attachments and plopping them on the drive
somewhere of the user's choosing, providing a link to it in the email.
Most of us use clients that behave radically different. Eudora should
probably not extract attachments at all or be more selective in what it
extracts. Note: I am not trashing Eudora, I used if for 6+ years on both
Windoze and Mac. Just that one thing always got to me. I wish they would
make an option to turn off that behavior since the attachments can
easily get lost and unlinked from the original email. Like when I moved
to Apple Mail, I have thousands of emails missing the attachments...
Tom

Posted by Thomas Bolioli <tp...@terranovum.com>.
I have new info. I changed the dns_available setting to test and I got
this.
Failed to run DNS_FROM_AHBL_RHSBL RBL SpamAssassin test, skipping:
        (Can't call method "bgsend" on an undefined value at
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/Mail/SpamAssassin/Dns.pm line 112.
)
Failed to run NO_DNS_FOR_FROM RBL SpamAssassin test, skipping:
        (Can't call method "bgsend" on an undefined value at
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/Mail/SpamAssassin/Dns.pm line 141.
)
Failed to run __RFC_IGNORANT_ENVFROM RBL SpamAssassin test, skipping:

Posted by Thomas Bolioli <tp...@terranovum.com>.
Yup, this fixed it. There is something wrong with Mandrake dists where
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl gets chmod' to 700 and that is not the proper
behavior. This is a v10 -> 10.1 upgraded machine with 5.8.3 upgraded to
5.8.5 in recent days as part of urpmi.update. It looks like the vendor
package maintainer decided to chmod all of the 5.8.3 site_perl locations
700 to avoid clashes with 5.8.5 in lieu of deleting the directories
outright. Good in theory but he/she just went one dir to high when they
did it. That's what I get for patching...
Tom

Posted by Thomas Bolioli <tp...@terranovum.com>.

Posted by Thomas Bolioli <tp...@terranovum.com>.

Posted by Thomas Bolioli <tp...@terranovum.com>.

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.

--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: surbl not reporting on any incoming email

Posted by Thomas Bolioli <tp...@terranovum.com>.
Hence my problem.
 From my local.cf which is not overridden anywhere
skip_rbl_checks 0
dns_available yes

 From etc/procmailrc
SPAMC="/usr/bin/spamassassin"
:0f
|$SPAMC

but the surbl checks only occur when I do spamassassin -t < file_w_msg
and not when procmail does the forwarding.
I am at a loss. This has never worked since I install 10.1 (SA 3.0.0).
However, I just noticed something. It only works from the cmd line when
I am root. Any ideas there? Does anybody know what effect removing
DROPPRIVS=YES and making it DROPPRIVS=NO would have on procmail?
Tom

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 04:50:52PM -0500, Thomas Bolioli wrote:
> Is there any way to reverse -L --local for the spam assassin binary. It
> seems to be on, despite the fact that I use a global procmailrc file and
> it clearly has /usr/bin/spamassassin as the inary to exec without any
> switches.

First, "spamassassin" isn't a binary, it's just a perl script.  Second,
there's no way to "reverse" it -- just don't put it on the commandline.

If you're not calling it with any flags, ala:

:0fw
|/usr/bin/spamassassin

then it'll try, by default, to do network checks.  Another option is a
configuration somewhere which does "skip_rbl_checks 1" or "dns_available no".
Also, if DNS tests fail w/out "dns_available yes", that would stop it as well.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
And shun the frumious Bandersnatch.

Re: surbl not reporting on any incoming email

Posted by Thomas Bolioli <tp...@terranovum.com>.

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 03:58:18PM -0500, tpblists@terranovum.com wrote:
> New output. Notice it worked this time. But that same email does not show
> the
> surbl report.

What do you mean "the surbl report"?  The hits showed up in the Report you
listed just fine (I added -MUNGED to avoid hitting other's filters):

[...]
> debug: uri found: http://www.lendx-MUNGED.biz/index2.php?refid=849
> debug: URIDNSBL: domains to query: lendx.biz
[...]
> debug:
> tests=BIZ_TLD,CONSOLIDATE_DEBT,GAPPY_SUBJECT,NO_OBLIGATION,RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET,RCVD_IN_DSBL,RCVD_IN_NJABL_PROXY,RCVD_IN_XBL,URIBL_AB_SURBL,URIBL_OB_SURBL,URIBL_SBL,URIBL_SC_SURBL,URIBL_WS_SURBL
[...]
>         *  0.6 URIBL_SBL Contains an URL listed in the SBL blocklist
>         *      [URIs: lendx.biz]
>         *  2.0 URIBL_AB_SURBL Contains an URL listed in the AB SURBL
>         blocklist
>         *      [URIs: lendx.biz]
>         *  0.5 URIBL_WS_SURBL Contains an URL listed in the WS SURBL
>         blocklist
>         *      [URIs: lendx.biz]
>         *  2.0 URIBL_OB_SURBL Contains an URL listed in the OB SURBL
>         blocklist
>         *      [URIs: lendx.biz]
>         *  3.9 URIBL_SC_SURBL Contains an URL listed in the SC SURBL
>         blocklist
>         *      [URIs: lendx.biz]
[...]

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"When I grow up, I'm going to bovine university!"

 	--Ralph Wiggum
 	  Lisa the Vegetarian (Episode 3F03)

Re: surbl not reporting on any incoming email

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 03:36:35PM -0500, tpblists@terranovum.com wrote:
> The email I ran lint on had a domain in it.
>
> spamassassin  --lint -D < /tmp/test_spam

You can't do that.  --lint does a lint.  Perhaps you want -t for test?

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"Look, Daddy, a whale egg!"

 	--Ralph Wiggum