Posted to pluto-user@portals.apache.org by Daniel Amadei <da...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/09 19:28:40 UTC

error running portlet

Hi All,

I'm deploying a portlet based on the Hepper's HelloWorld example book.
The deployment happens fine but when the portlet is shown, I get the
following error on the browser:

HelloWorld
HelloWorld  view  |  max   min   nor
Error occurred in portlet!

And in the log files I get:

SEVERE: Error in Portlet
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.apache.pluto.invoker.impl.PortletInvokerImpl.invoke(PortletInvokerImpl.java:109)
	at org.apache.pluto.invoker.impl.PortletInvokerImpl.load(PortletInvokerImpl.java:80)
	at org.apache.pluto.PortletContainerImpl.portletLoad(PortletContainerImpl.java:218)
	at org.apache.pluto.portalImpl.core.PortletContainerWrapperImpl.portletLoad(PortletContainerWrapperImpl.java:94)
	at org.apache.pluto.portalImpl.aggregation.PortletFragment.service(PortletFragment.java:120)
	at org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.aggregation.ColumnFragment_jsp._jspService(org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.aggregation.ColumnFragment_jsp:65)
	at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:322)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:291)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:672)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doInclude(ApplicationDispatcher.java:574)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.include(ApplicationDispatcher.java:499)
	at org.apache.pluto.portalImpl.aggregation.AbstractFragment.service(AbstractFragment.java:112)
	at org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.aggregation.RowFragment_jsp._jspService(org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.aggregation.RowFragment_jsp:65)
	at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)

Any ideas? I'm completely lost.

Thanks,
Daniel

Re: error running portlet

Posted by Sujoy Mitra <SM...@uss.com>.
David
Yes the code for 1.1  is successfully compiled in RAD6.0

I am trying to run the portlets in websphere test environment inside
RAD6.0 ( trying to integrate it with Websphere 6)
Here is the web.xml that I am using

"David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>
02/09/2007 01:57 PM
Please respond to
pluto-user@portals.apache.org

pluto-user@portals.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: error running portlet

You're using a newer version (1.1) than the original poster, which is
good, 1.1 has better error messages.

Your exception is being thrown because the portlet application is not
configured correctly.  Pluto uses cross context dispatching to invoke
portlets across web applications and it requires the PortletServlet to
be configured in teh web.xml and mapped to /PlutoInvoker/<name of
portlet>.

Make sure this is setup correctly in your portlet app.  If you need help
with it, check out the "pluto assembler" which can automate that
configuration for you (ant tasks and maven goals available).

David

Re: error running portlet

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Re: error running portlet

Re: error running portlet

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.
Yes, check to make sure that crossContext="true" is set in your context
configuration xml in tomcat.  If it's not, cross context dispatching
won't be allowed.  This null pointer reminds me a little more of the
issue that I just referenced in the last email I sent. . .

David