Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org> on 2014/01/20 10:01:36 UTC

Wicket 7 development status

Hi,

With my recent fixes in request mappers code and recovering of page after
expiry I have finished my planned work for Wicket 7.

Wicket 7.0 Roadmap<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WICKET/Wicket+7.0+Roadmap>
is
also covered.

I suggest that we release a milestone so users willing to help can migrate
their apps and report any issues.

Here is a JIRA filter<https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12326080>that
shows all issues which have been fixed/implemented only in Wicket 7.x.
I.e. it excludes issues that are fixed both in 6.x and 7.x.

At the moment out of 253 issues with FixVersion=7.0.0, 86 issues are 7.0.0
only.

We can use this filter to extract "What is new in 7.x" because the
migration guide doesn't show such information.

Martin Grigorov
Wicket Training and Consulting

Re: Wicket 7 development status

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Good!

@Martijn: feel free to remove the experimental modules for wicket-bootstrap
and examples NG when making the changes in the Maven groupIds

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Emond Papegaaij <emond.papegaaij@topicus.nl

Posted by Emond Papegaaij <em...@topicus.nl>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Del Bene <an...@gmail.com>.
mmm...looks interesting :)

Posted by Michael Mosmann <mi...@mosmann.de>.
Am 29.01.14 09:31, schrieb Martin Grigorov:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 9:15 AM, Michael Mosmann <mi...@mosmann.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As one might know I did some refactoring in this direction. What we can
>> expect is some trouble with defaultModel in Component. There are different
>> kind of ways to solve this, but it will come with cost.
>> - remove default model from component
>> - make component generic
>> - make some bigger changes to it
>
> Yes, I also imagine bigger API changes to accomplish this.
yes.. think we can not avoid this..
> Both the old discussion [1] and Martijn suggest to change Label to use read
> only model.
> I see several problems with this:
>
> - I won't be able to push new object into the Label's model.
> Usually one needs readonly model, like ResourceModel, but there are cases
> when you need to do: label.setModelObject("new")
I see some trouble in changing components model values from "outside" ..
I saw a lot of code where someone did this with more complex
components/models without the component itself knowing this.

But I understand the value of this shortcut.

> - o.a.w.Component as the base class for all components doesn't know what
> type of model the specialization will need, so it's signature will have to
> use a base model class. What is the base for IReadableModel and
> IWriteableModel ?!
I think there is only ReadOnlyModel and Model .. because a Model you
only can write into us very unusual.. If we model it this way: IModel ->
IWriteableModel + IReadonlyModel then Component<T,M extends
IReadonlyModel<T>> is valid, because other Components Extend it to f.I.
Form<T> extends Component<T,IModel<T>>

This is how I think about it, which is only valid in my head until some
code proves that I did not miss something.

> - currently IModel is also IDetachable
> I am not sure that lambda's in Java 8 will work here unless we remove
> IDetachable from the base imodel interface and add it to each
> implementation.
Yes.. and Models without Detach are useless. I see no obvious solution
with a good benefit/cost ratio.

Next steps:
- finish my serialization visualization tool (1-2 weeks (hope so))
- install java8 on my laptop (1 day .. (hope so.. no idea))
- explore some refactorings and rumtime behavior with the current wicket
branch and java8

Michael

Re: Wicket 7 development status

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 1:34 PM, Martijn Dashorst <
martijn.dashorst@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Martin Grigorov <mgrigorov@apache.org
> >wrote:
>
> > - currently IModel is also IDetachable
> > I am not sure that lambda's in Java 8 will work here unless we remove
> > IDetachable from the base imodel interface and add it to each
> > implementation.
> >

> We can provide a default implementation in IDetachable. This will make
> IReadableModel a FunctionalInterface:
>
> public interface IJava8Detachable extends Serializable {
>  default public void detach() {
> }
> }
>
> @FunctionalInterface
> public interface IJava8ReadableModel<T> extends IJava8Detachable {
> public T getObject();
> }
>
> @FunctionalInterface
> public interface IJava8WriteableModel<T> extends IJava8Detachable {
> public void setObject(T object);
> }
>
> A method defining the readable model as a parameter:
>
> public <T> void setSomeReadableModel(IJava8ReadableModel<T> m) {
> }
>

> Usage scenario:
>
> setSomeReadableModel(() -> "Foo " + System.currentTimeMillis());
>
> Martijn

All this looks promising but this code depends on JDK 8 features.
Your previous mail started with:
"Should we strive to ease the addition of lambda expressions to Wicket by
introducing single method interfaces in various places in Wicket 7?"

So this discussion should be focused on "how to make Wicket 7 better for
early users of JDK 8".
Wicket 8/9 based on JDK8 won't be released in the next few years :-/

Re: Wicket 7 development status

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 9:15 AM, Michael Mosmann <mi...@mosmann.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As one might know I did some refactoring in this direction. What we can
> expect is some trouble with defaultModel in Component. There are different
> kind of ways to solve this, but it will come with cost.
> - remove default model from component
> - make component generic
> - make some bigger changes to it

Yes, I also imagine bigger API changes to accomplish this.

Both the old discussion [1] and Martijn suggest to change Label to use read
only model.
I see several problems with this:

- I won't be able to push new object into the Label's model.
Usually one needs readonly model, like ResourceModel, but there are cases
when you need to do: label.setModelObject("new")

- o.a.w.Component as the base class for all components doesn't know what
type of model the specialization will need, so it's signature will have to
use a base model class. What is the base for IReadableModel and
IWriteableModel ?!

- currently IModel is also IDetachable
I am not sure that lambda's in Java 8 will work here unless we remove
IDetachable from the base imodel interface and add it to each
implementation.

So, at the moment I cannot fully imagine such change. But maybe there is a
clean way ..

1. http://markmail.org/message/iu4wrn5clyibacro

Posted by Michael Mosmann <mi...@mosmann.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Carl-Eric Menzel <cm...@wicketbuch.de>.
I have been a bit out of touch due to work taking me away from Wicket
development for a while, sorry about that.

But I really like this idea.

For one, IModel is, in hindsight, clearly a thing that does *two*
things. I could see it being changed to IReadableModel and
IWriteableModel, with IModel simply extending from both (because the
combination is still often useful). That might be useful even for
distinguishing between input and output models. (this is probably just
a restatement of the original proposal you mentioned, but it's been a
while since I read it)

And for another, since I like functional programming and don't like
Java's boilerplate, I really like the idea of your examples here.

So I'm +1 for this, as long as we aren't missing any major obstacles
here.

Carl-Eric

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Here is a quick demo what can be done with Scala implicits (now!):
https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/commit/ec6cd469f15a07721c0db9902f2672fbd117c197

Martin Grigorov
Wicket Training and Consulting

Posted by Martin Geisse <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Check

Posted by Nick Pratt <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Yes, evaluating which experimental modules to become stable is an entry in
the roadmap document but I intentionally left it out of this discussion
because I think it deserves more discussions. But since you started ...

wicket-cdi-1.1 is very new. I guess no one uses it so far.
Did Topicus migrated to 6.13 yet ?
Igor did your product move to wicket-cdi-1.1 ?
But since wicket-cdi-1.1 has evolved from wicket-cdi(-1.0) I believe it is
mature enough to be part of the stable module in Wicket 7.

About Wicket-Atmosphere - I also think it should stay experimental.
My reasons:
- it has no documentation
- it has no tests
- there are 8 opened
issues<https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project+%3D+WICKET+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+component+%3D+wicket-atmosphere+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC>
at
the moment and no one wants to work on them

Wicket Bean Validation (JSR303) seems to be working fine. There were just a
few issues with it. I'm +1 to make it stable module.

Wicket Native WebSockets:
I personally like it and I'd like to make it even better based on users'
feedback.
We use it in an internal project.
My only concern about making it stable is that it will be harder to make
improvements(API breaks) when more people start to use it.
I am +1 to make it stable.

Wicket-Bootstrap: I think this module should be removed.
Wicket Examples NG can use Michael Haitz's
Wicket-Bootstrap<https://github.com/l0rdn1kk0n/wicket-bootstrap> or
move the code from the experimental Wicket-Bootstrap to its packages.

Martin Grigorov
Wicket Training and Consulting

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 11:28 AM, Emond Papegaaij <

Posted by Emond Papegaaij <em...@topicus.nl>.
Hi,