Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Dermot Paikkos <de...@sciencephoto.co.uk> on 2005/02/01 15:57:41 UTC

[SUMMARY] Newbie - RBL question

Thanx to Rakesh and Kristopher for their replies which lead to the solution:

I did a spamassassin -D <test-mail.txt and got the following:

...snip
debug: plugin: loading Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL from @INC
debug: failed to load Net::DNS::Resolver: Can't locate Net/DNS.pm in @INC (@INC
contains: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i486-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i486-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl) at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin/URIDNSBL.pm line 107.

Net::DNS was in my /src directory but I must have forgot to install. Once it was installed
I saw this instead:
..snip
        *  0.6 URIBL_SBL Contains an URL listed in the SBL blocklist
        *      [URIs: onlinegenericrx.com]
        *  0.5 URIBL_WS_SURBL Contains an URL listed in the WS SURBL blocklist
        *      [URIs: onlinegenericrx.com]
        *  2.0 URIBL_OB_SURBL Contains an URL listed in the OB SURBL blocklist
        *      [URIs: onlinegenericrx.com]

I think this confirms that it is working now.
Thanx again.
Dp.

On 1 Feb 2005 at 19:38, Rakesh wrote:

> Dermot Paikkos wrote:
>
> >  Hi
> >
> >  Spamd v3.0 with Exim v4.43 using exiscan patch on SlackWare.
> >
> >  /usr/bin/perl5.8.0 -T -w /usr/bin/spamd -d -s /var/log/spamd.log
> >
> >  I am testing out the above configuration on a stand-alone system. On
> >  my live server (no spamassassin) I use the rbl option within the mail
> >  server (Exim 3.16) configuration to do DNS/RBL query on incoming
> >  mail. These RBL queries usually result in a lot of rejections, more
> >  rejections than appear to be happening with my test configuration.
> >
> >  What I am can't see from the logs (spamd.log and mail logs) on my
> >  test set-up is if these checks are being done and what if any
> >  rejections have taken place as a result. The log just reports that
> >  the mail that was rejected and scored x. Is there someway to confirm
> >  that RBL are being used? Can you score the RBL results?
>
> In spamassassin the RBL results are always reflected as scores assigned
> to the mail. Spamassassin doesnt worry about bouncing or reject a mail
> thts  the job of an MTA not spamassassin. You can see the RBL checks
> whether being done or not in headers of the mail. I dont know whether
> exiscan includes the complete spamassassin score report in the header.
> try a command line run of SpamAssassin on a mail that you feel might
> have came from an RBL listed IP and check the output.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Rakesh B. Pal
> Emergic CleanMail Team.
> Netcore Solutions Pvt. Ltd.

> I came, I saw, I conquered

> Netcore Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
> Website:  http://www.netcore.co.in
> Spamtraps: http://cleanmail.netcore.co.in/directory.html

~~
Dermot Paikkos * dermot@sciencephoto.com
Network Administrator @ Science Photo Library
Phone: 0207 432 1100 * Fax: 0207 286 8668