Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Andrew Zeon <an...@au1.ibm.com> on 2006/05/01 16:11:12 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 1.3.34 log file permission

Hi all,

This question has probably been asked a thousand times before, but I
cannot seem to get a straight answer.

I have apache 1.3.34 installed on Solaris 8. Apache is run as root. The
umask for root is 077 because of a security standard. Our logs (error and
access logs) are being generated with the following permission:

-rw-------   1 root     root

I need this to be rwr--r--. What determines the permission of the log
files? Is it the umask? I read in some forums about setting sticky bits to
overcome this?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3.34 log file permission

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 5/1/06, Andrew Zeon <an...@au1.ibm.com> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
> This question has probably been asked a thousand times before, but I cannot
> seem to get a straight answer.
>
> I have apache 1.3.34 installed on Solaris 8. Apache is run as root. The
> umask for root is 077 because of a security standard. Our logs (error and
> access logs) are being generated with the following permission:
>
> -rw-------   1 root     root
>
> I need this to be rwr--r--. What determines the permission of the log files?
> Is it the umask? I read in some forums about setting sticky bits to overcome
> this?

Adjust the umask as part of your apache startup script (apachectl).

Joshua.