Posted to user@storm.apache.org by "Mitchell Rathbun (BLOOMBERG/ 731 LEX)" <mr...@bloomberg.net> on 2018/06/06 03:43:02 UTC

Nimbus repeatedly crashing to issue with disk/ZooKeeper resources

From: Mitchell Rathbun (BLOOMBERG/ 731 LEX) At: 06/05/18 23:42:02To:  Mitchell Rathbun (BLOOMBERG/ 731 LEX )
Subject: Nimbus repeatedly crashing to issue with disk/ZooKeeper resources
Recently, our Nimbus crashed with a stack overflow error, and we are having some difficulty determining what the initial cause was. I have attached the stack trace to help with the debugging. This same stack trace occurred every time I ran Nimbus. I then deleted everything in the directory specified by storm.local.dir and removed everything in ZooKeeper under the storm.zookeeper.root path. I was then able to successfully run Nimbus. So this points to there being an issue with the data/state that Nimbus keeps. Has this issue been seen before, and how could the state reach a point that would prevent Nimbus from running at all? Is it possible that there was not enough disk/zk space, even though the logs don't really point to this being the issue?

Re: Nimbus repeatedly crashing to issue with disk/ZooKeeper resources

Posted by Bobby Evans <bo...@apache.org>.
The issue is that intervleave-all is a recursive function.

https://github.com/apache/storm/blob/e40d213de7067f7d3aa4d4992b81890d8ed6ff31/storm-core/src/clj/org/apache/storm/util.clj#L776-L784

So the depth of the stack trace is the number of slots you want to schedule
on * 3 because of how the recursion happens.

Sadly in the latest code it is the same, but still in java so it is not *
3, but still bad.

https://github.com/apache/storm/blob/3e098f12e2b09d4954eeeaaf807e4ff6006a6929/storm-server/src/main/java/org/apache/storm/utils/ServerUtils.java#L113-L130

So if you want to file a JIRA for us to fix this, that would be great.
Even better if you could look at making interleaveAll no longer recursive.

Thanks,

Bobby