Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2014/10/31 10:05:05 UTC

Do we cancel this project now?

Hi upcoming DeviceMap PMC,

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/October2014 indicates that the
graduation resolution is being prepared, as discussed earlier.

Is this happening? I'd like to get this podling out of the door, I
don't think there's any reason to wait.

The next board meeting is on November 19, and the graduation
resolution needs to be reviewed and voted upon both here and by the
Incubator PMC, so now's the time to prepare it.

The alternative is to decide that there's not enough energy in this
project to accomplish the few administrative tasks that are required
from an Apache PMC, and move elsewhere. Which is fine as well if
that's what people what - what's needed is to make a clear decision at
some point, and act on it.

As I said earlier, as an incubation mentor I'm willing to stay on this
PMC to help the project get started, but I'd like the podling
committers to demonstrate their committment by making things happen.

Altough Reza volunteered to prepare the resolution this is not only on
him - the PMC has a collective responsibility in making sure things
happen in due time. I'm happy to help reviewing the graduation
resolution but I'm not going to prepare it myself.

-Bertrand

Re: Do we cancel this project now?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Werner,

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 2:40 PM, Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...For new PMC members the PMC chair (synonym for VP, am I right?;-) moderates
> the vote, but all PMC members then vote, correct?...

Yeah, being the PMC chair makes no difference when it comes to
electing new committers or PMC members - they have one vote like all
PMC members.

The only thing special for election of PMC members is that it's the
PMC chair who has to send the proposal to the board, for a new PMC
member, and the board accepts or rejects it (though I've never seen a
reject).

> ...We could put it in the Wiki, and though it is not time consuming, if a
> volunteer (like Reza) was able to catch up with proposals for new Project
> members...

I don't think you need a wiki for that, the devicemap private list is
meant for PMC members to suggest and discuss new committers or PMC
members and vote on accepting them. That's one of the few very things
that PMCs do in private, to avoid embarassing potential candidates
which are not, or not yet accepted.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bertrand,

Thanks, I was asking on behalf of all who might fill this role.
For new PMC members the PMC chair (synonym for VP, am I right?;-) moderates
the vote, but all PMC members then vote, correct?
There is a slightly different practice at JCP.org where The Spec Lead(s)
have such duty, and though they could ask their EG members they have to
decide, at least one I believe, if there are more than one.

We could put it in the Wiki, and though it is not time consuming, if a
volunteer (like Reza) was able to catch up with proposals for new Project
members (it is a smaller project so there may not be dozens or hundreds
anyway, but of course any additional Hand would be welcome;-) it sounds
fine.
I am the most busy Spec Lead at JSR 363 and also lead a Downstream Project
implementing the Standard at Eclipse, so when it Comes to "hats" I am not
eager to collect too many everywhere;-D I am keen to keep this Project
alive if enough others agree to do so.

Werner

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Werner,

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Bertrand,

What are the duties of the VP in the Apache process?
If that person does not have to be a board member, is the VP required to
attend board calls or similar?

That should tell who can meet those responsibilities if there are any. I
was the public face and "Community Advocate" for OpenDDR, but that was of
course a slightly smaller community compared to Apache. Other than yourself
(if you are the Mentor it seems this role should a graduated Project still
have such guidance would be enough for you) there are 3, max, 4 People (see
Radu he's busy at times, like most of us could be[?]) who are actively
involved to make sense of such role.

If there are no mandatory calls, meetings or duties either of us could not
handle due to their schedule or other representation (occasional
conferences like ApacheCon certainly can't hurt if it's within the Region
and Budget of that Person[?]) either of us might be OK for it then.

Sorry to hear, we may at most meet at the airport, since I fly back to
Germany that evening. Talking again in German about DeviceMap at a Mobile
Developer Conference of course[?]

Cheers,
Werner

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Radu Cotescu <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I've had some busy weeks but things are starting to clear out from my
calendar and I can now make some time to help with the graduation. Since
the time doesn't allow me to coordinate this, I'm happy to share tasks with
Reza and Werner.

Reza, Bertrand, what do you need us to do, besides drafting the Resolution?

Cheers,
Radu

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 12:18 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Werner,

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Taking the case of a "vaguely related" Project like Cordova:

It seems, the Vice President of such project would be a board member, so
are you (or is there anybody else) happy to act as VP for DeviceMap?

Should be no big deal to put a template like this into the Wiki and then
adjust it to what DeviceMap does.

Are there paragraphs we must not provide because they are filled by the
board or Meeting anyway?

----
H. Establish the Apache Cordova Project

       open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public,
       related to building cross platform mobile applications with
       HTML, Javascript and CSS.

       Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Cordova Project",
       Foundation; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache Cordova Project be and hereby is
       related to building cross platform mobile applications with
       HTML, Javascript and CSS; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Cordova" be
       and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
       serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
       of the Apache Cordova Project, and to have primary responsibility
       for management of the projects within the scope of
       responsibility of the Apache Cordova Project; and be it further

       Apache Cordova Project:

       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Brian LeRoux
       be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Cordova, to
       serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
       death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
       or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Cordova PMC be and hereby is
       tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
       encourage open development and increased participation in the
       Apache Cordova Project; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache Cordova Project be and hereby
       Incubator Cordova podling; and be it further

       Incubator Cordova podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
       Project are hereafter discharged.

       Special Order 7H, Establish the Apache Cordova Project, was
       approved by Unanimous Vote of the directors present, with one
       abstention: Roy Fielding

-----

If you are there Monday already, it would be a pleasure if you could at
least attend my DeviceMap talk. Depending on who else does if there are
questions, especially people who could be interested to participate, you
may be in a better position for some, especially administrative ones.

Thanks,
Werner

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 10:25 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Werner,

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I am happy to help with the Resolution. And having helped projects in
various communities (JCP, Eclipse,...) I also have gained a bit of
experience with these things.
Is there a template, or something, Reza already started?

If the next board Meeting is in Budapest, I assume at least you'll attend
it F2F. I am not on the board, and I have 2(!) talks about this project
alone.
Would be a pity having to cancel those if we decided to quit, I offer to
help with it and I also prepared quite a bit of presentation materials over
the years, so Information that might be of use for the Resolution, I can
contribute.

Werner

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 10:05 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <