Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jeffrey Polaski <jp...@rgs.uci.edu> on 2002/08/28 23:05:35 UTC

Open source ODBC driver for SQL Server 7

I've searched the group, but I was unable to find anything relevant to SQL
Server 7 and free/open source JDBBC drivers. So, can anyone recommend a
decent open source JDBC driver for use with MS SQL Server 7? I'd like a type
3 or 4 driver (as a JDBC-ODBC bridge doesn't seem to be too stable). I'd
consider connection pooling with a JDBC-ODBC bridge if it's stable and not
too slow.

We can pay for drivers if we have to, but our budget is pretty slim this
year so I'm trying to do this on the cheap, if possible. We're running
Tomcat 4.04 on NT. Eventually we'll upgrade to SQL Server 200 and I can use
the MS drivers, but that's will have to wait about a year or so. For now I
just need a basic, stable driver to connect to SQL Server 7.

Thanks in advance for your help,

   Jeff Polaski
   Webmaster
   Research & Graduate Studies
   University California, Irvine

Posted by Dennis <de...@zserve.com>.
You might try FreeTds.org

-Dennis

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

RE: Open source ODBC driver for SQL Server 7

Posted by Jim Urban <ju...@parkcitysolutions.com>.
Check out http://www.thinweb.com/products_twfreetds.html it's a free
commercially supported version of freetds.

Jim Urban - jurban@parkcitysolutions.com
Park City Solutions Inc.
Clinical Connectivity Suite Product Manager
Suite 295
500 Park Blvd.
Itasca, IL  60143
Voice:  (630) 250-3045 x106
Fax:  (630) 250-3046

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message and any included attachments are from Park City Solutions Inc.
and are intended only for the entity to which it is addressed. The contained
information is confidential and privileged material. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If
you have received this communication in error please notify the sender of
the delivery error by e-mail or call Park City Solutions Inc. corporate
offices at (435) 654-0621

Re: Poolmam vs. Tomcat's JNDI (DBCP, Pool)

Posted by Martin Jacobson <ma...@libero.it>.
neal wrote:

> Do you guys prefer Tomcat JNDI over PoolMan?
>
> It is looking like (from the multiple installs and the significant
> configuration details) that Poolman is a lot easier to setup and use that
> Tomcat's JNDI option.  Anyone have an opinion?
>
> Thanks.
> Neal

Last time I looked, Poolman was no longer being developed/supported,
which rules it out as far as I'm concerned. When you refer to tomcat's
JNDI, I suppose you mean the commons-DBCP connection pool supplied with
tc 4.1?
I retro-fitted DBCP to 4.0.4 and it works fine.

HTH
Martin

Poolmam vs. Tomcat's JNDI (DBCP, Pool)

Posted by Greg Trasuk <st...@on.aibn.com>.
You might want to try the MS drivers even though they claim not to support
SQL7.  I've had a system installed for about a year using the MS drivers on
SQL7 with no problems, although the application and queries are pretty
simple.

Greg Trasuk, President
http://stratuscom.ca